Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to BBB and wanted to confirm CYA/FC levels

1. Back To Top    #1

New to BBB and wanted to confirm CYA/FC levels

I completed the conversion from Baqua about two weeks ago and things have been going pretty well. However, for the past 2 days the water isn't the beautiful crystal clear that it has been and is noticeably a little cloudy. Current readings at 9pm are:

FC - 0 (dosed it up to 4 this morning?)
    CC - 0.5
    CYA - 20 (added enough to get to 30 at the end of the conversion and added enough to go from 20 to 30 again 6 days ago)
    TA - 150
    pH - 7.8

We've had record high temperatures for the past several days (97 today) and my pool has no shade. My question is, where should I be maintaining the CYA and FC. I started with the standard CYA=30 and FC Target=4 coming off of the conversion but have noticed the CYA/FC chart has other possibilities. If I raise the CYA level, although I seem to be having problems even getting to 30, will that help hold the FC and perhaps lower the amount of bleach I have to add daily. FC has been 0 ppm 7 out of the past 8 mornings.

Also, pump has run 24/7 since beginning the conversion so I'm not sure what might be causing the cloudiness.

Comments/Guidance appreciated.
    IG SW Gunite, 15K Gals, Intelliflo pump with cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to BBB and wanted to confirm CYA/FC levels

Where are you purchasing the CYA and are you sure its 96-100%? Some pool stores sell a brand that is only 50% strength.

I would target 50, assuming you are using bleach daily and not tablets?

Your pool is cloudy because you are one step ahead of an algae bloom because of low chlorine.

Are you adding chlorine at night, and finding it at 0 in the morning? That means you need to shock the pool, if thats the case.

Did you change out your sand after you did the conversion?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I concur with mom.

You would be a good candidate for trichlor powder. It dissolves fast, adds chlorine, and gets CYA up in the bargain. I'd look up how much you will need to raise CYA to 50, and buy just that much. Then use it as needed to raise FC every day, until it's used up. Then switch back to bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm using HTH brand Stabilizer & Conditioner with CYA at 96%. I'll up the CYA to 50 and target the FC to 6. I've been adding 6% bleach in the mornings and it's down to 0 the next morning. I only took the readings this evening because I suspected something was wrong and wanted to get some advice. I changed the sand out after I passed the overnight FC loss test a couple of weeks ago.

Since I already have the CYA, I'd prefer to go ahead and use that vs. the trichlor powder if that's not a problem.

Thanks for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

No problem at all. Where the chemicals come from isn't as important as knowing what you need, and how much, and only adding what you need with no extras. Sounds like you understand things pretty good already!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hung a sock with 54 oz of CYA to increase from 20 to 50 and 168 oz of bleach to increase from 0 to 6 this morning. Sock is almost empty this evening and FC measures 1.5. So the FC didn't totally dissapate. I'm hoping that when the CYA totally dissolves it will help hold the FC level. Water is looking much clearer.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sock is almost empty this evening and FC measures 1.5
    Did you raise your FC back up? Do so, if not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

You must have read my mind (or I read yours). I was doing some more research in the Pool School and saw that it is better to add bleach in the evenings. Just added 126 oz to get it back up to 6. I'll try to do it in the evenings from now on.