balance pak 300

Cole

May 3, 2011
Berea. KY
hello all, i have used baking soda for balance pak 100, i was wandering what the alternative for balance pak 300 is, i have looked on the bottle for the active ingredient but i cannnot find it. will i be able to use an alternative or will i have to use bp300,
Cole

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes that is correct, if you have a vinyl liner pool so have no plaster or grout exposed to the water, then you do not need calcium in your pool. See the Recommended Levels article in the Pool School. The reason for having CH and for balancing CH, TA and pH together is to saturate the water with calcium carbonate to protect plaster surfaces (pool plaster contains calcium carbonate). Vinyl pools do not need such protection. The pool store may tell you that it is needed to prevent metal corrosion, but that is not true. If you are interested in the technical details, you can post a question in The Deep End; otherwise, just follow the advice in the Pool School. Please don't mix advice from the pool store with that in the Pool School as pool store advice is often not compatible and is often incorrect.

Reactions: cyttocs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.