Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: balance pak 300

1. Back To Top    #1

balance pak 300

hello all, i have used baking soda for balance pak 100, i was wandering what the alternative for balance pak 300 is, i have looked on the bottle for the active ingredient but i cannnot find it. will i be able to use an alternative or will i have to use bp300,
    Cole
    Cole Pocius
    15'x30'x52" AG, 1 HP Hayward Power Flo, Hayward per-flex D.E filter, Aqua luminator. chlorine, baracuda beta. vinyl liner, 12,500 k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: balance pak 300

Calcium Chloride is the substitute.
    2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    Chemical Name CAS# Wt.%
    Calcium chloride 10043-52-4 75 - 97
    Sodium chloride 7647-14-5 1 - 2
    Potassium chloride 7447-40-7 2 - 3
    Water 7732-18-5 0 - 7
    Strontium Chloride 10476-85-4 0 - 1
    http://www.thepoolandspahouse.com/tools ... sbp300.pdf
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You have a vinyl pool - not really necessary unless there is a specific reason to use it? What is your CH level now?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

hello, frustratedpoolmom, i don't use chlorine i use softswim. thank you richard320.
    Cole Pocius
    15'x30'x52" AG, 1 HP Hayward Power Flo, Hayward per-flex D.E filter, Aqua luminator. chlorine, baracuda beta. vinyl liner, 12,500 k gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

CH is the abbreviation for calcium. For a vinyl liner pool the recommended CH range is 50-250 ppm. CH levels above 250 may lead to calcium clouding and/or scale.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

sorry i get confused on the abbreviations for calcium hardness and chlorine.
    Cole Pocius

7. Back To Top    #7

I have an above ground pool with vinyl liner. Are you saying I don't need to worry about my CH level? Right now it is 59 and the pool store is recommending 175-225 (metric)

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!

Yes that is correct, if you have a vinyl liner pool so have no plaster or grout exposed to the water, then you do not need calcium in your pool. See the Recommended Levels article in the Pool School. The reason for having CH and for balancing CH, TA and pH together is to saturate the water with calcium carbonate to protect plaster surfaces (pool plaster contains calcium carbonate). Vinyl pools do not need such protection. The pool store may tell you that it is needed to prevent metal corrosion, but that is not true. If you are interested in the technical details, you can post a question in The Deep End; otherwise, just follow the advice in the Pool School. Please don't mix advice from the pool store with that in the Pool School as pool store advice is often not compatible and is often incorrect.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"