Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: added cya but need to backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

added cya but need to backwash

I opened my pool on sunday. I wanted to get some cya in because we are in the midst of a heatwave. Problem is I need to backwash, the pressure reading went up 10 psi over the normal reading of 15.

i did the sock trick in front of return. Its only been a few hours since I put the sock in. Almost all 4 lbs. is already in pool.

Next question is I replaced my pressure gage because old one broken. Looks to be same type of gage. My question is could you get different readings on 2 different gages? I seem to be about 5 psi over when I first did start up.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: added cya but need to backwash

You won't lose too much CYA since it's hanging in a sock, not dumped in the skimmer and trapped in the filter.

And yes, two gauges will read different, even brand new, but not so much you'd notice. Old gauges will read wrong quite often. Trust the new one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: added cya but need to backwash

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner