Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Newbie Question on pool opening

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Newbie Question on pool opening

    Hi All,
    I have read through these boards and have found a LOT of useful information, but have some questions. I am a new pool owner, inground 25,000 gal. vinyl, sand filter. Pool was green. Took sample to pool supply place and had the following readings....

    FC - 0
    TC - 0
    CC - OK
    TA - 210
    pH - 8.2
    Calcium hardness - 59
    CYA - 9
    Copper - 0
    Iron - 0

    The pool "tech" told me to do the following - 1) add 2 1/2 lbs pH minus, let run 2 hours, then 2) add 2 jugs chlorine and 1 bottle algaecide. Run 24 hours and backwash. Then add 1 jug chlorine daily until clear. I did this, and have swept the pool twice today to stir up algae/debris, the 24 hours just ran up, and I just backwashed. The pool is a light blue/green color, but there is a white film-like substance on the surface of the water, that is not soapy...if you touch it it dissipates. Is this just the chlorine in the water? Also, should I now add another jug of chlorine or wait until tomorrow night? I'm not sure if it is possible to over-chlorinate a pool... Any help/suggestions is welcome!!!!
    Thanks!!!
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    25

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    The white film is not chlorine.

    Do you have a way to test your water? Really need that to know what to do next, otherwise you are just guessing. Keep running your filter to get everything, including the film, out of the water. You very likely need more chlorine, but that is just an educated guess without numbers.
    35x19 15,000 gal, SWG, Pentair equip, 100% solar coverage, 400K heater, 9x7 spa Inground 3M Bora Bora with Dark Gray plaster

  3. Back To Top    #3
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Welcome to TFP. Start in Pool School - and don't listen to the pool "tech" he is not giving you correct information.

    You need your own test kit.

    Defeating Algae

    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

    Shocking Your Pool

    You need to make sure you have gotten your PH down to 7.2 before you begin to shock/balance the pool.

    Post back if you need clarification on anything
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Yes, I am learning that these "pool techs" don't know squat.... I am also going to invest in a test kit....thanks for that advice!!!

    At any rate, I realized that I added 1 qt of algaecide to 25000 gal pool and wonder if that was too much, and what might be causing the white film? Directions stated to add 14oz per 10000 so I thought the amount was right, but it got worse overnight and almost looks soapy....what can be done to get rid of that? Any thoughts?

    Thanks so much for everyone's input so far!!!
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    I believe time and chlorine are all you need to get rid of that foam. Don't worry about that algaecide, it will go away on it's own. Follow the directions posted as links above, and you'll be fine. Poorer but wiser, but fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Okay, just got back from getting water tested, and here are results....

    FC - 1.2
    TC - 1.2
    CC - 0.0
    TA - 209
    pH - 8.2
    CYA - 10

    Person at pool place told me that their system high pH level only goes to 8.2 so our original pH level was probably higher, so I just added another 2.5 lbs of pH minus to pool. The water is cloudy, and a pretty bluish/green color. I bought a test kit so will test the pH level again in 2 hours and add more pH minus if needed. The funny thing is, she told me to add more chlorine 2 hours after adding the pH minus, and I called her out saying, "Shouldn't I get the pH level right first before doing that???" She gave me a funny look and said..."Um, yeah, so..." Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough for your advice. Now, my question is what level of chlorine should I go for? I know the acceptable range is 1-4ppm, so according to the test, my chlorine level now is good. But if the water is cloudy, will chlorine alone clear it up, and should I keep adding more? Or should I add some clarifier? Also, should I be concerned with the CYA level for now?

    Thanks again for all advice!!
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    For a change, I agree with the pool store. That 1.2 FC won't be there for long once the sun hits it. You may not even have to wait two hours to add bleach, just be sure the filter is running, and give the whole pool a good brushing. By the time you've brushed it all, the acid should be mixed.

    Personally, I use muriatic acid and 12.5% liquid chlorine. Both get right to work, they don't need to dissolve, they just need to get mixed in well.

    CYA is too low still. Have you studied those articles with the links above?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    I have been....just so I have this right....I need to get my CYA level up first in order to know what my target FC level should be, correct?
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    10

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Get the PH down(7.2-7.4) then I would get the FC level up to around 15 and hold it there while you gradually add CYA. You can add CYA and CHL at the same time, but remember CYA will take a few days to dissolve. When FC holds overnight, the algea is gone and should start clearing up in a few days and you can then focus on getting the right CYA level.
    20x40 IGP Vinyl, 120,000L
    Hayward sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo (19gpm max)
    15 boxes(@4x10) of Enersol Solar Panels(S,E,W), Pentair solar controller
    AutoClear SWG, Kreepy Krawly
    Clear Vinyl Solar Cover, with solar reel, turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Quote Originally Posted by loungelizard
    Get the PH down(7.2-7.4) then I would get the FC level up to around 15 and hold it there while you gradually add CYA. You can add CYA and CHL at the same time, but remember CYA will take a few days to dissolve. When FC holds overnight, the algea is gone and should start clearing up in a few days and you can then focus on getting the right CYA level.
    Okay...that makes sense....I guess that's where I get confused; the matter of timing of when to do certain things, and if adding certain chemicals together is okay. Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!!
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Quote Originally Posted by bevj_2
    Quote Originally Posted by loungelizard
    Get the PH down(7.2-7.4) then I would get the FC level up to around 15 and hold it there while you gradually add CYA. You can add CYA and CHL at the same time, but remember CYA will take a few days to dissolve. When FC holds overnight, the algea is gone and should start clearing up in a few days and you can then focus on getting the right CYA level.
    Okay...that makes sense....I guess that's where I get confused; the matter of timing of when to do certain things, and if adding certain chemicals together is okay. Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!!
    Make sure to allow at least 30 minutes for the muriatic acid to mix BEFORE you add any chlorine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Make sure to allow at least 30 minutes for the muriatic acid to mix BEFORE you add any chlorine.
    This confuses me a little.....I thought I had to get the pH down to an acceptable level before I do anything else. Did I misunderstand something? Should I be doing both, meaning adding the pH minus AND shocking the pool (waiting 30 minutes or more after adding the pH minus before adding the chlorine), at the same time? The water is bluish/green and cloudy and the chlorine level is at like 1.
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Also, I've read that shocking during the day is almost useless because of the sun....we live in the heart of GA and right now the sun is relentless.... Any thoughts?
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    The pH test is useless at shock levels, so you need to get it right before you start shocking, then ignore it.

    So.... pH adjustment, let it mix, then add chlorine.

    You can't let up just because of the sun. What will happen is that you will get a good kill at night, the chlorine will be used up, the algae will grow back, and all the bleach you added last night was for nothing. You must stay above shock level all the time, even if it means adding bleach every hour or two. I'm assuming you want the pool clear before August; don't relax until that pool is clear!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    The pH test is useless at shock levels, so you need to get it right before you start shocking, then ignore it.

    So.... pH adjustment, let it mix, then add chlorine.

    You can't let up just because of the sun. What will happen is that you will get a good kill at night, the chlorine will be used up, the algae will grow back, and all the bleach you added last night was for nothing. You must stay above shock level all the time, even if it means adding bleach every hour or two. I'm assuming you want the pool clear before August; don't relax until that pool is clear!
    Actually, I want the pool clear as soon as possible...it sucks having a pool in my backyard that I can't use. This is where I get confused. Why should I worry so much about the pH level now? Should I shock the pool until it's clear, and then worry about getting the pH level right? What effect does the high pH level have on the chlorine level in the pool?

    I apologize for the many questions....I have read the pool school articles and a BUNCH of other messages, but it's like information overload....
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    Inground Vinyl

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Quote Originally Posted by bevj_2
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    The pH test is useless at shock levels, so you need to get it right before you start shocking, then ignore it.

    So.... pH adjustment, let it mix, then add chlorine.

    You can't let up just because of the sun. What will happen is that you will get a good kill at night, the chlorine will be used up, the algae will grow back, and all the bleach you added last night was for nothing. You must stay above shock level all the time, even if it means adding bleach every hour or two. I'm assuming you want the pool clear before August; don't relax until that pool is clear!
    Actually, I want the pool clear as soon as possible...it sucks having a pool in my backyard that I can't use. This is where I get confused. Why should I worry so much about the pH level now? Should I shock the pool until it's clear, and then worry about getting the pH level right? What effect does the high pH level have on the chlorine level in the pool?

    I apologize for the many questions....I have read the pool school articles and a BUNCH of other messages, but it's like information overload....
    Chlorine works better if the pH is at the low end. But you can't get a good pH test if the Chlorine is way high - it changes the color of the red stuff. So once you start shocking, you can't do anything about pH. So don't even bother testing it during the shock process, it will just make you crazy.

    Get the pH right, then start shocking.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bethpage (Long Island), NY
    Posts
    39

    Re: Newbie Question on pool opening

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Chlorine works better if the pH is at the low end. But you can't get a good pH test if the Chlorine is way high - it changes the color of the red stuff. So once you start shocking, you can't do anything about pH. So don't even bother testing it during the shock process, it will just make you crazy.

    Get the pH right, then start shocking.
    Okay, I made a mistake by not checking here first. Last night, I filled my pool & added enough liquid chlorine to shock. Water was crystal clear this morning. Today, my ph tested 8.2 or higher & my TA tested 60. Cya is 0 but will add tonight or tomorrow.

    Forgot that ph test is meaningless while shocking & I went ahead and added some ph down (Walmart brand so not sure what it is). Now, water is cloudy. Will it clear up with continued filtering or did I mess up more seriously?

    Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As as addendum to my post above, walmart brand ph down is sodium bisulfate 93.2% and other identified ingrediients 6.8%. I notiiced slight foaming after adding the ph down.
    12 ft round above ground vinyl pool, 52 in depth (approximately 3600 gallons), non swg, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 16-inch, 110-120V with GFCI, pool installed August, 2006 on sand, new liner installed June, 2014, fill with hose water (refilled in august, 2017), use tf-50 test kit, except use hth phenal red ph test.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •