BBB - Borates are in, now salt?

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
Last night I gave my pool with Borax + Muriatic Acid treatment for 50ppm borates.

It was also suggested that I add some salt to the water at 2000 ppm.

I don't have a SWCG and the pool store people were telling me not to (don't even get me started in regards to the issue trying to buy 20L of Acid). They said they strongly discourage anyone from using salt in a non- salt water pool.

(1) I trust the people of this site more than the pool store people, but just to confirm. If I use bleach (no SWCG) is it safe for my equipment to add 2000 ppm salt in my pool?

(2) Will the pool store be able to tell me the level of salt currently in my pool so I can add the proper amount of pool salt?

(3) If I add pool salt, how long will it take to dissolve? I have some people coming swimming tomorrow around noon and I want to make sure my water is nice on the eyes and skin

I have used Borates to 50 ppm and salt at 2000 ppm for over a year. Once the water warmed up this season, I topped off my levels.

So...

1) It is safe. I have observed no ill effects to my equipment. Remember, a SWCG pool uses salt levels about 1.5 times greater than what you propose to use in your pool.

2) Yes. If you have never added salt to your pool, the level should be minimal. But always a good idea to check.

3) The salt I added was completely dissolved within the hour. I brushed and ran the Polaris during the process...then I jumped in.

Enjoy, and good luck.

Depending on how cold your water is. Also are you using "pool" salt or water softener salt. "pool" salt is more finely ground so it would dissolve faster. The water softener salt I used dissolved in about an hour. That was quick enough.

What is it with pool store clerks?

Let's see, they'll sell you acid that will etch concrete on contact, will burn holes through a pair of jeans in a flash, can quite possibly blind you if it gets in your eyes, yet they discourage putting something you eat in the water? They discourage liquid bleach because it leaves salt in the water, but will happily sell you a SWG and bags of salt at inflated prices? Sell you algaecide and miracle snake oils that contain metals, then sell you sequestrant to control the metals in your water?

How many pool clerks wind up in politics? They'd be natural.

A little story:

I did my reading and went ahead with the plan to add 50ppm borates to my water. I added my values into pool school and required 16.7L of acid and 15.5 boxes of borax. I could have waited and done it when I had time, but nah.... I have some people coming over for a swim (happened yesterday) and I was stuck at work. My wife was home with your daughter so I sent her on a mission to pick up 16L of acid. On my way home from work I was going to pick up the Borax.

A while later I got a call from my wife on her way from the pool store on the acid shopping trip. They wouldn't sell her 16L of acid. They told her that if it is mixed with chlorine you make mustard gas and they didn't feel comfortable selling it. My wife couldn't explain how she (I) was going to use it so they told her to have me come back and explain it to them.

So she left empty handed and I have another errand to run.

I go to the store and I tell the girl at the desk that my wife was in earlier to buy acid and all of a sudden all the employees started to file out of the back. One of the guy asks what I was using it for and I explained it to them. They looked at me with a "WTF" look on their face. I think I confused the Crud out of them to the point that they gave me the acid so I would leave the store and they could go on Google to find out what the heck I was talking about.

I also told the girl at the pool counter that I was thinking about adding salt to my pool water and she tried to talk me out of it that it will be bad for my equipment especially my chlorinator... yah, the chlorinator that I don't use.

So I left the pool store and ended up clearing ALL the borax off the shelves at 2 different grocery stores.

It was a nice adventure :D

Now for my question:

(1) I don't want to buy salt at the pool store. Where/What is the best option for pool salt?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.