Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to tell pH reading

1. Back To Top    #1

How to tell pH reading

The TF100 kit pH test is labelled in 0.4 increments.

For example, if I am between 7.2 and 7.6 how do I know what the pH actually is ? Or does it matter?
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to tell pH reading

Yes, it does matter. Not too exactly, since that is a decent range to keep the pool in. But if your pH drifts like mine does, then you need to know where it is heading and recording 7.2-7.6 is not as valuable as recording 7.6 so you can compare it to 7.4 two days ago.

What I do is to find what two levels is must be between. So, start with between 7.2 and 7.6..... now is it closer to one than the other? Look carefully at the pinkishness of the sample (pink on one end of the scale, yellow on the other end). If it is closer to 7.2 than to 7.6, then say it is 7.3. If it is closer to 7.6 than to 7.2, then say it is 7.5. If you are totally unsure if it is closer to one or the other, say it is 7.4. Sometimes it help to look cady-corner to see if it really is 7.6, I don't know why but if there is a hint of more pink side-to-side, sometimes the block just above will show me that it is really right on 7.6.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to tell pH reading

perfect, thanks
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5