Help with plaster patch, acid wash order

Jun 5, 2011
Hello all.
Been reading through these very informative forums. I thought I had a ginormous problem, but after seeing what other have tackled, I'm feeling more confident. I'm hoping those of you with more experience can give this green horn a few pointers.

Here is the situation - bought the house in central Maryland about 7 years ago, pool was built in 1992 (i think). I do not know if it has been replastered, but am guessing not. I will admit that I have not been as diligent as I should have been the last few summers with the chemistry - pretty much just shocked it and/or added clarifier when the water discolored. This will change once this problem is corrected.

I had a patch of plaster (about 4"x6") pop off last summer in the deep end along the curve of the bowl, and have noticed issues with staining, and mortar problems around some of the brick work along the decking. So, this spring (about 10 days ago) I decided to address the patch, the staining, and the tuckpointing and drained the pool completely. Now that it is empty, I've found a few more areas where I can tell the plaster is loose - you can either see it beginning to crumble at the intersection of cracks, or it sounds hollow when you rap on it.

My questions are:
- Should I remove all of the loose plaster, patch, then acid wash, then refill or
- Should I remove all of the loose plaster, acid wash, patch, then refill or
- Acid wash, remove plaster, patch, refill?

I'm treating the tuckpointing as an issue that is independent of the above, except working on it while the pool is empty is easier. Please tell me if I'm way off base with that assumption.

A replaster job is out of the question right now because of finances, so I'm going to patch. BTW - I was going to use EZ Patch 1 (NOT the fast setting one) - any strong opinions one way or the other? I have not bought it yet.

I've attached a few pictures and I think some of my pool specs made it into my signature. ANY and ALL help is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• Hole-edited.JPG
    Hole-edited.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Delamination1-edited.JPG
    Delamination1-edited.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 130
  • TopStep-edited.JPG
    TopStep-edited.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 131
19 years? Water getting behind the plaster? Might be time to replaster entire pool?
Bump (for the experts to chime in).

I had a chunk of plaster break off the edge of my stairs. I patched it with underwater setting plaster repair. That was a year ago. I believe it cost $10 for a 1.5 gallon container.
It doesn't look perfect, but it does work, at least until I replaster the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.