Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unable to keep FC up

1. Back To Top    #1

Unable to keep FC up

I've been keeping up with the water chemistry and testing daily. I currently don't have algae. The water is crystal clear and has been. The last outbreak was about a week ago and i fought it until it was gone.

Currently my CYA is between 35-40. My pool is in the sun from morning until night, a good 12 hours.
    Last night i had the FC level at 7ppm, and the CC was at 0.

today my wife and nephews had been swimming since about 11 (covered with solar cover until then). I got home from work at 4:20ish and checked the FC level. It was at .5.

I just added more chlorine and brushed the entire pool down in hopes of stopping any algae outbreak.

Is the sun causing the chlorine to dissipate so quickly? If so, should I raise the CYA?
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unable to keep FC up

Sounds like the nephews should have taken a bathroom break or two.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Sounds like the nephews should have taken a bathroom break or two.
    I would agree, except they get out and go in the yard every time they have to go. Plus this has been happening the past few days.
    It's in the upper 90's here with high humidity, and full sun all day.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The swimming along with the low CYA and sun is probably what caused it. I'd raise the CYA to 50 or so and see if that helped. I'd do that after I passed the OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit