3 week vacation

Apr 3, 2010
So my family and I are going on vacation in about a month and we will be gone for 3 weeks. I was thinking that it would be safer to close the pool down while I am gone instead of trusting my neighbors to adjust the chemicals and clean out the skimmer. If I make sure all the chemicals are where they need to be and then toss on the winter cover and leave the pool pump off for the 3 weeks will I be alright? I was also thinking I could bring the pool up to shock level before leaving just to make sure everything stays fine while I'm gone.

What do you guys think?

For 3 weeks with the pump off, even if you start out at high shock of, say, 20 ppm and add polyquat 60, you will come back to a green pool. Even with a loaded floater in the water. If the water isn't being circulated, it's stagnant, and stagnant water turns green.

But hey, so what? You KNOW how to deal with a green pool!

I go away for 6 weeks every year during August/September. When it's still really hot here. I dose the pool to 20 ppm, put on the solar cover to keep leaves out, turn off the pump, and drive away. I don't want to impose on neighbors, I don't have friends who live close by (though they live close enough to come swim on the weekends, of course). I turn off the pump because we have a lot of power outages here in the summer and I don't want a surge to wreck the pump. Or for something to get sucked in or whatever can go wrong with pumps (the sky falling?) . . . so I turn it off.

Yes, the pool is a deep jade green when we get back. First order of business while husband unloads the van is to turn on the pump and pour in 3 large jugs of Clorox. The next morning it'll be a light green. More bleach, more time, brushing, more bleach, and by the end of a week it's crystal clear again.

Don't sweat it. It's only a pool. Have fun on vacation and have Clorox handy for when you get back.

AnnaK said:
For 3 weeks with the pump off, even if you start out at high shock of, say, 20 ppm and add polyquat 60, you will come back to a green pool. Even with a loaded floater in the water. If the water isn't being circulated, it's stagnant, and stagnant water turns green.

I thought putting the winter cover on would help with that. I go all winter without getting a green pool and the pump not running. Does the temp have anything to do with that?

btw, cya is only 45, so I'm sure a few pucks would be just fine. Will the chlorine be used up as quickly with a winter cover on since the sun won't be breaking it down?

Temperature definitely has something to do with algae growth. They start at around 48-52F and escalate as the water gets warmer. We close our pool at the end of October when the water temp is below 45 F. It's safe then to disconnect the pump and winterize because not much growing activity is happening, if any. Our pool freezes solid and is thawed sometime around the end of April.

I put on the solar cover rather than the winter cover because the solar cover does allow the pool to 'breathe' a little. The official word for that is 'outgassing' but I can't explain to you what that means. You can put on your winter cover if you want. You'll still have a green pool when you come back though. You have a little play room with the CYA. 45 is close to ideal but if it goes to 60 it really isn't a tragedy. And no, chlorine won't be used up as quickly when there's no direct sun on the water but 'quickly' is a relative term. You've got heat, no circulation, darkness. The perfect setup for algae.

I mean, think about it: a dark, warm environment with nobody policing it and telling you to keep the door open? Whatareyougonnado? Mess around, right? Procreate, yes?

My pump is on a timer, I don't see any reason I can't leave that on while I am gone. I can also probably get a friend to come by and dump a gallon of bleach in once a week to be safe. That being the case, would I do better to use the solar cover or winter cover while I am gone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.