Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 week vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

3 week vacation

So my family and I are going on vacation in about a month and we will be gone for 3 weeks. I was thinking that it would be safer to close the pool down while I am gone instead of trusting my neighbors to adjust the chemicals and clean out the skimmer. If I make sure all the chemicals are where they need to be and then toss on the winter cover and leave the pool pump off for the 3 weeks will I be alright? I was also thinking I could bring the pool up to shock level before leaving just to make sure everything stays fine while I'm gone.

What do you guys think?
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit
    -It takes less time to do things right then it does to do it again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 week vacation

Sounds like you have the right idea. Not sure if your pool could handle it, but put a floater in their with some pucks in it. If your CYA is not too high this could be a good idea.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

For 3 weeks with the pump off, even if you start out at high shock of, say, 20 ppm and add polyquat 60, you will come back to a green pool. Even with a loaded floater in the water. If the water isn't being circulated, it's stagnant, and stagnant water turns green.

But hey, so what? You KNOW how to deal with a green pool!

I go away for 6 weeks every year during August/September. When it's still really hot here. I dose the pool to 20 ppm, put on the solar cover to keep leaves out, turn off the pump, and drive away. I don't want to impose on neighbors, I don't have friends who live close by (though they live close enough to come swim on the weekends, of course). I turn off the pump because we have a lot of power outages here in the summer and I don't want a surge to wreck the pump. Or for something to get sucked in or whatever can go wrong with pumps (the sky falling?) . . . so I turn it off.

Yes, the pool is a deep jade green when we get back. First order of business while husband unloads the van is to turn on the pump and pour in 3 large jugs of Clorox. The next morning it'll be a light green. More bleach, more time, brushing, more bleach, and by the end of a week it's crystal clear again.

Don't sweat it. It's only a pool. Have fun on vacation and have Clorox handy for when you get back.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    For 3 weeks with the pump off, even if you start out at high shock of, say, 20 ppm and add polyquat 60, you will come back to a green pool. Even with a loaded floater in the water. If the water isn't being circulated, it's stagnant, and stagnant water turns green.
    I thought putting the winter cover on would help with that. I go all winter without getting a green pool and the pump not running. Does the temp have anything to do with that?

btw, cya is only 45, so I'm sure a few pucks would be just fine. Will the chlorine be used up as quickly with a winter cover on since the sun won't be breaking it down?
    30 foot round AGP (25k gal), 2.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Diver Dan pool vac, TF-100 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Temperature definitely has something to do with algae growth. They start at around 48-52F and escalate as the water gets warmer. We close our pool at the end of October when the water temp is below 45 F. It's safe then to disconnect the pump and winterize because not much growing activity is happening, if any. Our pool freezes solid and is thawed sometime around the end of April.

I put on the solar cover rather than the winter cover because the solar cover does allow the pool to 'breathe' a little. The official word for that is 'outgassing' but I can't explain to you what that means. You can put on your winter cover if you want. You'll still have a green pool when you come back though. You have a little play room with the CYA. 45 is close to ideal but if it goes to 60 it really isn't a tragedy. And no, chlorine won't be used up as quickly when there's no direct sun on the water but 'quickly' is a relative term. You've got heat, no circulation, darkness. The perfect setup for algae.

I mean, think about it: a dark, warm environment with nobody policing it and telling you to keep the door open? Whatareyougonnado? Mess around, right? Procreate, yes?
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

See if you can find a local service who will pool sit for you and make a weekly visit... its pay them or pay to clean it up when you get back...u have to decide which is more economical and worthwhile...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

My pump is on a timer, I don't see any reason I can't leave that on while I am gone. I can also probably get a friend to come by and dump a gallon of bleach in once a week to be safe. That being the case, would I do better to use the solar cover or winter cover while I am gone?

8. Back To Top    #8

Use the solar cover, shock it before you leave, leave the pump on the timer, and have them dump in one large jug of clorox a week. You'll be fine
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

You guys are the best, thanks a lot!

10. Back To Top    #10

The only thing I differ with Anna & FPM about is using the solar cover. Unless you have an opaque one, I'd use the winter cover. I'd definitely leave the pump on the timer so it'll run normally.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit