Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

solar salt?

Is it ok to use the blue bags of diamond solar salt for my swg? It seems to be half the price of pool salt at the pool store but I don't want to stain my plaster or something

Thanks in advance
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Utahjanitor
    Is it ok to use the blue bags of diamond solar salt for my swg? It seems to be half the price of pool salt at the pool store but I don't want to stain my plaster or something

Thanks in advance
    I'll let someone else answer that, I do know that my local Walmart sells Morton pool salt at $6 for 40lbs.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Utahjanitor
    That is the only salt I use. The pool store stuf is a rip off. Home Depot usually has the best prices.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The blue bagged solar salt is fine...should say 99+% pure salt. Just make sure it's not the system saver bags with "special" additives or iron out
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep its the 99% $3.60 a bag at home depot for 40lbs
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover

6. Back To Top    #6

fyi ......i was a culligan man for years, and solar salt is the top 7 layers out of the huge drying containers at the salt plant, the cleanest salt rises to top drawn up by the sun then dries in layers hence the name "solar salt"
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac