Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: iron and the soft water tank??

1. Back To Top    #1

iron and the soft water tank??

Hi all
    I have always dealt with Iron water in my fiberglass pool from using a well. In the house I use a soft water system to catch the Iron and it works very well. In this system I use Potassium Chloride. I plan on doing some plumbing to tie the soft water in to the pool fill. I am looking for some thoughts on using the Potassium Chloride soft water system for the pool fill. positive and negative would be appreciated. Also would there be other things to check other them the normal CL, CC, TA, CH &CYA?
    Thanks for the your thoughts and time
    Ric W
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    The main thing to keep in mind is that home water softeners are not designed to handle the kind of volume a pool requires. If you are filling the pool you will need to regenerate and/or recharge the water softener frequently during the fill. You will also end up with more salt in the water then from well water, though that could be seen as an advantage (salt tends to give the water a better "feel").
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Northeastern Ohio
    Interest point about regeneration. I was considering doing the same thing myself, due to the high amount of CH (500) I have in my well.

So far, my saturation index hasn't been out of whack, so maybe I won't bother.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar if only there was some sun to shine on them!