Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benefits to the Speedstir for the Tf-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Benefits to the Speedstir for the Tf-100

I have to order more product for my test kit so I was wondering what the benefit of this item would be. I mean, I only have one pool. It looks like it only fits the round test vials so it would not work for Ph, which I am testing as often as chlorine these days.

Does it help for anything more than just stirring.. does it make the test more accurate? or is it really just great for people who do water testing for a living?

Thx for your opinions.
    Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Benefits to the Speedstir for the Tf-100

It will save you a LOT of time. I thought the same- What is that speed stir. You won't have to use both hands when adding drops, i.e. one hand stirring and one placing the reagant in the vial. It will work for all the tests in the TF-100 test kit. I would recommend it.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you get one you will not regret it. Best way to get constant results.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is especially useful for those times when you're testing often, like when you're trying to maintain a shock level of chlorine during an algae outbreak. During those times, you're also using a lot of drops, because your chlorine levels are high. The test goes much faster that way. The little light is helpful, too, to really tell when your color changes completely.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

5. Back To Top    #5

My Taylor speed stirrer came in yesterday and it matters. Using my TF-100 without it gave me CH results of 750 to 800. Using the speed stirrer it was 675 (performed twice) which is closer to my plaster contractor's result. For TA and FC the results were the same.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep trying to decide if I need one of those gadgets too... Not a necessity, but sure would be nice!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes it is beneficial and very convenient. It will help you from over-shooting endpoints, thus making you more accurate. Sure you can get by without it easily, but if you try it, you will likely never go back.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I another extremely convenient device is the Taylor Sample Sizer Measuring tool. (You'll need the correct size test tubes that come with it... one test tube comes with the speedstir). Saves so much time.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... artID=2301
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

beezar- Sure... give me something else I'll decide I "need"
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

10. Back To Top    #10

It was the next best investment after my tf100. Like someone said if you ever have to shock it is very helpful. If you have high levels on the drop based test kits for ch, ta, etc it will help. Also when you have to use the 25 ml sample, it is helpful so you dont lose any of the water. There were some times I would be mixing and some of the water would come out of the tube. Makes testing a lot quicker and gets mixed a lot better. You will not regret it and I use it every day to test my FC levels. I feel like I am the cool kid on the block.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

I love mine too. It completes the Jr. Scientist in me screaming to get out. Really. Get one. You won't be disappointed.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

12. Back To Top    #12

I might as well chime in, too. I can't imagine going back to swirling by hand.

As I posted somewhere else here recently, no one who has a speedstir regrets buying it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

It's awesome!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

It is pretty handy. You may not ever appreciate it if you've not done testing without it though.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

I have a question about the speedstir... I got mine on Friday, installed the supplied batteries and tried it out. Is the little "pill" that goes in the bottom supposed to spin constantly? Mine will sometimes spin, but more often than not it will get hung up and just kind of vibrate in one spot, and it doesn't mix well when it is not spinning. Is it possible the supplied batteries are weak or something else?
    26,000 IG Pool (Gunite w/Premix Marbeltite), Jandy Stealth 2 speed pump, Jandy CL460 Cartridge, Jandy SWG, Nature2 (Disabled), Ultrapure Ozone, Polaris Cleaner, Jandy PDA controller

16. Back To Top    #16

Could be, try a fresh set of batts
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

Try new batteries first (that's the #1 reason they won't spin) and if that doesn't work try a new magnet.

Call Taylor and ask them to send you one if you don't have on the same size. There have been a few reports of them not working and it's been determined to be the magnet stir bar. Kinda strange, I know but that's been the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by RCDuck
    I have a question about the speedstir... I got mine on Friday, installed the supplied batteries and tried it out. Is the little "pill" that goes in the bottom supposed to spin constantly? Mine will sometimes spin, but more often than not it will get hung up and just kind of vibrate in one spot, and it doesn't mix well when it is not spinning. Is it possible the supplied batteries are weak or something else?
    When mine did this, it was the batteries. If I recall correctly they are generic batteries that come with it, so could very well be bad. Once I changed the batteries, the magnet is always spinning until it goes off.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

19. Back To Top    #19

Richard made me buy mine he just doesnt know it, and I use it all the time its a good tool..........
    18000 gal Gunite free form
    Jandy 1 HP pump
    Jandy DEV 48 filter
    Raypak 400 heater
    Goldline Proligic SWCG
    Solaxx chemical feeder
    Dolphin Deluxe 4

20. Back To Top    #20

It takes the work out of testing making it a enjoyable experience! Plus it is a cool toy! And lets be honest, who doesnot like cool toys that make your "Chores" easier.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast