gem coat loss

Jun 6, 2011
Hi, really glad to have found this site.
My IG pool was neglected for about 2 years. It had algae problems which were easily solved, but of greater concern is loss of gemcoat due to low/no calcium.
I have brought the calcium level up to around 350 and the loss of gemcoat has dramatically improved, but a year has gone by and granules of gemcoat are still showing up in my cartridge filter after vacuum.
My question is "Is there anything I can do to prevent further loss of gemcoat"?
The pool looks pretty good but I seek to avoid the expense of a future re-surfacing if possible.
thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

What is "gemcoat"? Do you have a link or photo?

Could you post a full set of test results?

If you have plaster pitting due to low CH levels, you could have ongoing loss of plaster, and anything mixed into it, for quite some time afterwards.

gemcoat is a trade name for the interior finish...diamond brite is another similar product i think...It has the colored granules that give the pool it's blue hue.
There is no plaster pitting yet, but there is ongoing plaster loss....I have raised the calcium levels to 350 +. I'm wondering if I can do anything to stop further erosion of the plaster and interior finish?
Latest test readings had
FC - 5
CH - 450
TA - 100
PH - 7.6
CYA - 70

The only thing you can do is to keep your levels right. They are fine now. Keeping them that way is the best you can do. That won't stop some ongoing loss from previous problems right away, but loss should stop eventually.

Thanks for the reply.
I had no idea when I bought my house that so much went into proper pool care.
Glad you are here and thanks again for taking the time to respond to my newb concerns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.