My pool and deck project

Thank you both for the compliments - I really enjoyed the deck build and just took my time and was so pleased with how it turned out. Since getting the stone work done I've decided the deck coming off the back of our house looks terrible so am in the middle of tearing it apart for a fresh deck surface and totally different stairs that will come down to the stone patio and tie it all together. This old deck was not treated for years and the wood is pretty bad. Will plane the old deck boards down and use them for framing for the new "stepped" stairs that I've got planned.

Yukon Jack said:
Got out Saturday morning and took on the very stressful task of cutting the posts down to the proper height. Using a skill saw free hand with the saw in my left hand for most of the cuts had me so nervous that I was going to screw up a cut and then I don't know what I would have done, but roughly three to four hours later I had all 15 posts cut down. Next need to put an accent V cut 5" down from the top. My friend who helped lay out the deck showed that option to my wife and she really liked it. Gonna be a lot more stress as I cut these accents and hopefully don't let the saw get away from me and screw up a post . . . or me!

Here are a couple pics showing Saturday's progress.
Yukon...if i may, off topic question on your Polaris 65...hows that working out for you? i just got one and it is not working quite right...the manual sais the pump PSI should be >5...my 2sp pump is just at 4 on the low settin and way to high on the high setting...on the low setting it does not move around as i think it should...anyway any info would be great.

Thanks...Bo

Bo, last year it seemed to work a bit better than this year. I was very pleased with it last year but it seems to miss more stuff this year. I definitely note it missing the far end of the pool even though I cut the hose to length exactly as the instructions stated. I'd leave the hose 4' longer than the instructions call for if I were to do it again to see how that affects its ability to clean the far end. I also noticed at the beginning of the season when the water was still pretty chilly the hose seemed stiff and wasn't moving around as much. What kind of water temp do you have presently?

Yukon Jack said:
Bo, last year it seemed to work a bit better than this year. I was very pleased with it last year but it seems to miss more stuff this year. I definitely note it missing the far end of the pool even though I cut the hose to length exactly as the instructions stated. I'd leave the hose 4' longer than the instructions call for if I were to do it again to see how that affects its ability to clean the far end. I also noticed at the beginning of the season when the water was still pretty chilly the hose seemed stiff and wasn't moving around as much. What kind of water temp do you have presently?
Yukon, my water temp is still 76 here in middle GA...did yours begin to work better with the warmer water?

Man...i just read the entire thread again...your work on that deck is awesome...and the fact that you've never done that kind of work before is amazing...great job.

Thanks...Bo

I definitely think it started working better as the pool warmed up. The hose seemed to loosen up so it could move around better on top of the water and the hose that goes down to the bottom of the pool seemed to flip around better.

Thanks so much for the compliments on the deck - the most daunting task for me was framing in the sub-structure and I had assistance from friends getting that done and figured out.

Our deck off of the house was looking really bad, especially compared to the new deck so recently I dived in with the help of a friend redoing it. Good thing we did as we found some rot and terminate damage in the old deck. The old steps went straight down on the north side of the deck next to the chimney. They were very steep and just awkwardly placed in my opinion. So decided to take them off the opposite end and then wrap them around to the stone deck. I'm very pleased and so lucky to have a friend who is very experienced with construction. He makes it all look so easy figuring out angles and proper layout.

Attachments

• IMG_1363a.jpg
    IMG_1363a.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1367a.jpg
    IMG_1367a.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 110

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After a long weekend of work, including Sunday with a temp that hit 111 degrees, progress is occurring. Hope to have the rest of the stairs done when I get another evening to work. Then on to railing.

Attachments

• IMG_1408a.jpg
    IMG_1408a.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1409a.jpg
    IMG_1409a.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 79
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.