My pool and deck project

Thanks for the compliments! Living in the country is great for sure! Yep, first time to build a deck or anything substantial for that matter out of wood other than wood working class projects back in high school. Sure has been fun and I'm now ready to start on the rails as I got all the accent cuts in the posts. Figured that would take a couple evenings but got all 15 done last night, I was pretty excited!

Definitely think a sink could find its way out in this area in the future. Between the house and the deck I'm going to use flat stone and build a fire pit. It'll cut down on mowing, yep, that's it! :lol:

Still need to do a little clean up on the cuts but thankfully no screw ups. Never thought I'd be able to use a saw with such skill!

Here are a couple more pics of the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0362a.jpg
    IMG_0362a.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0363a.jpg
    IMG_0363a.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 229
Got all of the railing material cut Sunday morning. Will have a 2x6 rough cedar bottom rail, black aluminum balusters, a 2x4 rough cedar top rail with a 2x6 smooth cedar handrail. Once it got over 100 degrees called it quits for the day. Hit 111 here mid afternoon - too hot for me. Hope to do some staining this evening.

Got the railing lumber all stained two nights ago and got out last night and made a jig for getting the baluster spaced properly. Now that I have the jig, the rails will go a bit quicker. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0385a.jpg
    IMG_0385a.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0386a.jpg
    IMG_0386a.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0387a.jpg
    IMG_0387a.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 195
Had a great weekend of progress, especially considering the heat - 100+ weather is getting a little old! Next need to work on smoothing the tops of the posts, then staining them and doing some touch up staining to the rails. A buddy is hopefully coming over soon with his bobcat so we can drill the two post holes for the stairs - can't wait to get the stairs up.

Had a very relaxing evening swimming last night and then enjoyed the deck for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0388a.jpg
    IMG_0388a.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0389a.jpg
    IMG_0389a.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0391a.jpg
    IMG_0391a.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 176
Got the deck cleaned last weekend and hope to stain the deck surface if weather permits this weekend.

Also have the stone patio basically done at this point. I can take credit for the deck, but my back wasn't up to the stone project so I hired a very nice man and his wife who did an awesome job!

Attachments

• IMG_1064a.jpg
    IMG_1064a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1066a.jpg
    IMG_1066a.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1066a.jpg
    IMG_1066a.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 146

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Weather cooperated recently and I was able to get first coat of stain applied. Still need a second coat and to work on getting stain on the sides of the boards. I'm really pleased with the appearance with the stain on.

Attachments

• staineda.jpg
    staineda.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 127
  • stainedb.jpg
    stainedb.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 127
No worries but yes I have. I got the Misty Falls by Doughboy. I think its the same as yours. I just really like the blue of yours.
634556599219970000.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.