Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Doughboy Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Doughboy Sand Filter

My Doughboy Silica II sand filter is leaking around the bolts and appears to have several hairline cracks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what size sand filter I should look at? My pump is Doughboy PowerPak II 1hp. The filter holds 130 lbs sand. Should I go with a bigger filter? Any other suggestions?
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Doughboy Sand Filter

I'd go with at least a 24" filter. They typically hold 300lbs of sand. I have a Hayward S244T that I'm happy with and got for a reasonable price with free shipping on Amazon.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing Doughboy Sand Filter

Thanks JohnT for your response. I've been doing a little research on sand filter brands. I've seen some problems with the Haywards leaking and valve problems and generally not lasting as long as expected. Our Doughboy has lasted a long time, but I don't find much mention of them on TFP. I'm totally confused now as to which way to go. What brand do most of you guys have? Which ones seem to last?
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump