Raypak Millivolt 206 for 27' above ground pool?

Mar 30, 2010
I am heading into a second season of my 17k gallon 27' round pool. Even though I have a solar cover and get sun for most of the day, it always appeared that the pool was a few degrees too cool.

I already have a 1/2" gas line near the pool for a grill.

I was looking at the Raypak millivolt which has 133k btu output and will run off of a 1/2" gas line. Is my math correct that this will raise the pool temp 1 degree per hour?

Is this a large enough heater? Normally do you only heat a pool when you want to use it, or all the time? I can guess that heating it all the time would get expensive.

I am running a SWG, does this affect my heater choice?

thanks,

Chris

Have you considered solar heating? If you've got the room, that's the cheapest and easiest way to bump up the temperature a little. Generally it seems that people are unsatisfied with small heaters.

Even if it does run of a 1/2" line, the run may be too long for it to work effectively.

I'll find the website, but there was a great calculator for figuring out what size heater you may want to have. Something about the surface area square footage, the amount of degrees you want to heat up to compared to the lowest ambient temperature.

I figured I'd need a minimum of a 200K BTU for a 24' round, raising temp to 90 from 60. I'll try to find it...or someone here way smater than me will chime in.

Have you considered a heat pump? I have the 22kw one of these http://www.calorex.com/pool-heating/domestic-swimming-pool-heat-pumps.htm in the UK and am very pleased. Provided daytime temps are above 10 deg c it heats the pool from cold (50f) to usable (80f) in about a week. During the summer it only cycles on on the cooler of nights. I reckon on it extending the usable period of the pool by a month either end which for us is end of April to early October. To be honest outside of these times I would not want to swin outdoors anyway!

MNPoolDreamer said:
I figured I'd need a minimum of a 200K BTU for a 24' round, raising temp to 90 from 60. I'll try to find it...or someone here way smater than me will chime in.

See, I am looking to go from 76 to 80 degrees, not raise the temp of the pool by 15+ degrees.

I am going to have a plumber come out and give an estimate on a 1/2" line vs a 1.5" line.

Maybe I can compromise at a 250k heater or so.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.