Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak Millivolt 206 for 27' above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak Millivolt 206 for 27' above ground pool?

I am heading into a second season of my 17k gallon 27' round pool. Even though I have a solar cover and get sun for most of the day, it always appeared that the pool was a few degrees too cool.

I already have a 1/2" gas line near the pool for a grill.

I was looking at the Raypak millivolt which has 133k btu output and will run off of a 1/2" gas line. Is my math correct that this will raise the pool temp 1 degree per hour?

Is this a large enough heater? Normally do you only heat a pool when you want to use it, or all the time? I can guess that heating it all the time would get expensive.

I am running a SWG, does this affect my heater choice?

thanks,

Chris
    27' 17k gallon AGP
    Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed Powerflo pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite 25k SWG
    Hayward 24" Pro sand filter with 150 pounds zeolite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypak Millivolt 206 for 27' above ground pool?

Have you considered solar heating? If you've got the room, that's the cheapest and easiest way to bump up the temperature a little. Generally it seems that people are unsatisfied with small heaters.

Even if it does run of a 1/2" line, the run may be too long for it to work effectively.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have the room on the house and my shed is too small. I am also unsure of my tolerance for their appearance.

Has anyone used this size heater on this size pool?

Chris
    27' 17k gallon AGP

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll find the website, but there was a great calculator for figuring out what size heater you may want to have. Something about the surface area square footage, the amount of degrees you want to heat up to compared to the lowest ambient temperature.

I figured I'd need a minimum of a 200K BTU for a 24' round, raising temp to 90 from 60. I'll try to find it...or someone here way smater than me will chime in.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you considered a heat pump? I have the 22kw one of these http://www.calorex.com/pool-heating/...heat-pumps.htm in the UK and am very pleased. Provided daytime temps are above 10 deg c it heats the pool from cold (50f) to usable (80f) in about a week. During the summer it only cycles on on the cooler of nights. I reckon on it extending the usable period of the pool by a month either end which for us is end of April to early October. To be honest outside of these times I would not want to swin outdoors anyway!
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MNPoolDreamer
    I figured I'd need a minimum of a 200K BTU for a 24' round, raising temp to 90 from 60. I'll try to find it...or someone here way smater than me will chime in.

See, I am looking to go from 76 to 80 degrees, not raise the temp of the pool by 15+ degrees.

I am going to have a plumber come out and give an estimate on a 1/2" line vs a 1.5" line.

Maybe I can compromise at a 250k heater or so.

Chris
    27' 17k gallon AGP