Salt Chlorinator for Above-Ground Pool

Sterling Heights, Mi

Considering:
12 x 24 resin pool
20 mil liner
cartridge filter
1 hp, 2 speed pump
BBB method
Solar ionizer to lesson chlorine need???????
Salt Chlorinator????

:hammer:

I am getting mixed messages on using salt in an above-ground pool. We haven't purchased the pool yet and I was only considering one because of the salt system (I have horrible allergies!). So....... my question is to salt or not? Some claim that this will void pool warranty because of the potential salt corrosion????

Thanks in advance for any and ALL suggestions!
First time, potential pool owner, Kelli
:cheers:

Warranty depends on the pool manufacturer.

I have a simple little Intex swg and am starting my second season with it... Love it! It's a basic model and is the least expensive of the swg's. We were told by a pool builder who helped us do prep work for our pool that swg's start at $900... he didn't mention the Intex so I'm glad I did my research. He would have liked to sell me a more elaborate one I'm sure.

As far as salt corrosion goes, I imagine some of the metal components of a pool could be affected more quickly by the salt, but the salt is minimal to run an swg. The metals will already be subject to water on a regular basis which affects them as well. I've read many peoples comments here on their swg's and haven't come across anyone that was really upset about having added salt to their water whether they had an swg or just wanted more comfortable water.

Wondering what your allergies have to do with installing an swg or ionizer??

Post subject: Re: Salt Chlorinator for Above-Ground Pool

Allergy Question Answer: Often when swimming in chlorinated pools I suffer for at least a week or two afterwards, ie sinus congestion, drainage, itchy eyes, etc

LOL..... I am going to have to look up the difference between the swg and the swcg!

Thanks for the warm welcome; I will keep you all posted on what aspires. :party:

Kelli

I am going to have to look up the difference between the swg and the swcg!
That's a pet peeve of mine. :) It's not a swg (salt water generator) it's a swcg (salt water chlorine generator)! It generates chlorine, not salt water. It's still a chlorine pool. :)

The irritation and allergies you experience is from a mismanaged pool. high CC's out of whack chems, etc.

A properly managed pool has none of those problems.

There is no difference, its just two different ways to abbreviate the same thing. A pool with a SWG or SWCG DOES have chlorine, thats what the machine generates from the salt in the water. Stinging eyes is probably more of a ph problem I would guess. No denying t&hough that a salt pool feels wonderful.

Re: Post subject: Re: Salt Chlorinator for Above-Ground Pool

Kpjthomas said:
LOL..... I am going to have to look up the difference between the swg and the swcg!

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a difference between a SWG and a SWCG. I think it's just a matter of how different people word them. I could be wrong though.

As far as it ruining the pool or voiding warranty. Look for a pool that is Salt Water compatible. We got a Intex 18' for this summer but next spring going with a hard side AGP. I know in our research looking at them some are built extra tough to prevent corrosion and specifically said salt water safe. At least on some of the ones we have looked at.

Sometimes I feel like a ********* for telling people that "salt pools," use salt to create chlorine. But, I was asked if my pool uses salt or chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kelli...welcome to TFP...itchy/burning eyes are rarely a chlorine allergy. It's the sign of improper water chemistry. Take a read through pool school...link in my sig. And do strongly consider investing in a good test kit, such as the TF100 from tftestkits.net or the taylor k2006. A reliable test kit that can measure both FC and CC is the key to pool water management and a chlorine/salt pool that barely smells of chlorine. Likewise...everyone in my pool loves to comment on how much nicer my salt pool is given it does not smell like their chlorine pool :hammer:

Yep, dmanb2b is so right: strong chlorine smell does not = clean pool. If a pool smells strongly of chlorine, really it is the byproduct of organics in the pool being killed by the chlorine - meaning they do not have a clean pool. A properly maintained pool does not smell strongly of any chemical.

Thx guys. I am aware that it is probably not the 'chlorine' that I am allergic to (I think anyway lol); I have been told it is probably the chemical compound used in the chlorine products. That is why I am interested in Salt Chlorinator.......more natural way to get chlorine in my pool....???...... Going to take a chance with the whole warranty thing. I had a pool guy tell me, "how would they know anyway?" LOL

Thinking of going with a doughboy AGP, cartridge filtering system, 2 speed pump, some type of SWCG...... Again thx for everything!!!! You have been incredibly helpful!

Kpjthomas said:
I have been told it is probably the chemical compound used in the chlorine products.
That is very doubtful if you are using something like Clorox Regular or an off-brand Ultra bleach. These contain sodium hypochlorite which is the same chlorine your SWCG will produce, they contain a little excess lye which also can't be the problem since it only slightly raises the pH and the SWCG will likely do that as well (for different reasons), and some bleach has sodium polyacrylate which is also unlikely to be irritating.

If you don't have a problem with chlorinated bath water or shower water, then you shouldn't have a problem in the pool (assuming your tap water is using chlorine and not monochloramine).

We have had salt in our AG pool for many years. I took it apart to install a new liner, cove, etc last year. No signs of corrosion

Speedo said:
Sometimes I feel like a ********* for telling people that "salt pools," use salt to create chlorine. But, I was asked if my pool uses salt or chlorine.

This is a real pet peeve of mine. Read the reviews for the Intex SWCG on walmart.com and you will see that most people who have one don't know what it does. There are tons of comments about how good it is to not have chlorine or "chemicals" in the water. On a related note, I have a dumb question. These same reviewers talk about not having faded swim suits anymore. Is that because they think there is no chlorine in the water or is that a real thing?

There is no reason to be terrified. All chlorine pools have salt in them. It is common for a non-swg pool to have 500-1500ppm of salt in it from continuos chlorine additions (All chlorine adds salt to your water over time). SWGs tend to operate around 3000ppm, which is not that big of a difference, especially as compared to seawater, which is 30,000+ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.