pool is dull blue, not sparkling- what next?

Aug 9, 2010
I thought I had a problem with algae continuing to live, but there was no way. After reading more, it hit me that last year I had to add a metal sequestrant for iron in the pool. So, I waited until my chlorine got significantly down under shock level, & added "remedy pool magnet plus" yesterday. My water went from a deep, dark greenish-blue to a lighter and brighter blue, but still not clear and sparkling. So, my question is, should I add more sequestrant from the pool store? Order Jacks Magic online and wait? I'm not sure of the urgency of getting it crystal clear, other than I want the pool to look nice.

If this is important, I have a 15X30 above ground oval pool that holds a little over 10K gallons. The filter I am using is a Hayward EC40 DE filter that I am regularly bumping and backwashing to keep working at it's maximum ability. I have also recently cleaned it with automatic dishwashing detergent and then soaked it in M.A.

This is the second year with the pool, so I'm still a beginner :) I appreciate all of the help and advice I've already been given on this forum! I have learned a LOT and I know there is a lot more to learn, but am very happy to have found this site!

duraleigh~ I don't have a test for metals, but will be getting the water tested at the pool store within the next day or so. What I do know though, is that I topped the water off this year from the well, and we do have iron in it, so I'm certain that that is an issue. I have the TF-100 test kit and will post today's results when I do it shortly. Thanks :)

Your numbers look good. I would want the TA to come down over time, but that isn't going to affect anything you are talking about.

Since adding remedy pool magnet plus improved the color, you certainly have some metals in the water, presumably iron. From your description, you have used enough for now, but will need to add maintenance doses regularly.

I suspect that if you maintain the FC level and use maintenance doses of sequestrant once a week the pool will continue to look better and better over the next several day.

What I do know though, is that I topped the water off this year from the well, and we do have iron in it, so I'm certain that that is an issue.
Yeah, that coupled with the results you are experiencing is proof enough and I see no real need to test.

If you have a water softener for your house, you might consider doing your smaller refills from the softener and you will eventually replace the well water and can stop using sequestrant. Of course, the hassle and expense of using softened water has to be offset by any gains in NOT using sequestrant.

Would running said well water thru a whole house filter housing W/ iron removal cartridge be effective. Used this set-up for greenhouse mister's when odors became too much. Although water quality wasn't as important as in a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.