Need help detecting a leak!

Jun 20, 2009
Princeton, WV
Did the bucket test last night. I closed the valves to the main drain and skimmer and turned the filter to closed (there is not a valve from the return). Should this work? I really feel that the leak is in the plumbing, but lost alot of water last night. Thank you.

How much difference did you get between the bucket and the pool?

Does it leak more or less with the pump running than with it off?

The next step is to isolate the plumbing from the shell. You can do that by sealing off the skimmer, main drain, and return(s). The MD might be a challenge. You can take a rubber mat or something similar and lay over it and then use something to hold it down to the floor.
Once you've done that, do the bucket test again and see if you lose water.

No change in the bucket at all. Approx 1" or more from the pool. Seems to leak more with the pump off. Water is now below the skimmer. The main drain is in the side, but has a valve to close it off. With the pump in the closed position, will it stop water from draining thru the return into the filter? There is no valve there. A few yrs ago when we were changing the sand, we broke the pipe in the bottom of the filter where you drain the filter at, but my husband replaced it. There is standing water around the filter and surrounding area without a visible leak, but it could be under the filter. I guess once it drains below the return we will have our answer if it stops, but we really did not want to go that far! We can cap off the main drain (as we do in the winter), and then see if we loose anymore.

If it leaks more with the pump off, that points to a leak in the suction side plumbing. Plug the skimmer, return & main drain and do the bucket test again. If it doesn't leak then your shell is intact and you can concentrate on the plumbing. Since you have an AGP, is all the plumbing above ground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.