Where to buy my pool/package for self install?

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
Well, the first major hurdle has been jumped ... the wife and I have committed to getting a pool. I'm a heavy duty DIY type, so I'm looking to buy and install myself with the help of a few friends. However, after extensive research here, I have my doubts about some of the vendors. All I know is that we have settled on the idea of a 27' pool and wish to go SWG. I'd like to keep costs under $4K if possible while getting the best bang for my buck. Again, there will be $0 in labor. So, knowing what you do now, what would you recommend and where would you recommend I buy it from? I highly doubt I'll be in this house 30 years and I know I won't be retiring in it, so the 40+ year warranties don't mean much to me, however, the first number of years where 100% is warranties, the longer the better.

What I have been looking at:

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies.com/alpoki.html - more so for the corrosion resistance of Aluminum/Resin/SS hardware ... also like the cove and ladders of the kits. Not liking the price! Also read some bad reviews of the retailer.

Most have found you get a better pool by avoiding the all inclusive kits. They under power the filter and over power pumps, you need bigger filter and 1hp pumps are just fine. Look for a merchants with good BBB online ratings, read their reviews. I got mine from ProPools, but there are dozens of great merchants. Decide what you want by features as brands are almost meaningless these days with most pools mfg by just a few companies and rebranded for merchants. Wide resin top rails, sturdy uprights, ss hardware, these are items to look for. Then just shop by price. It can take almost the same or more $ for proper level site prep, which is the most important thing to do.

Thanks for the reply NWMNMom!

Well, this will be our first pool and I have been spending my evenings over the last week scouring the site for information for noobs like me. This site has been invaluable already and once we commit fully, I plan on supporting the site both financially with a membership, but also by contributing what I learn along the way. This will begin with a my build thread. Luckily, the patch of yard this is going in is already fairly level with 1-3 inches of drop over the 28 span of the pool's footprint, so solidifying the base should be fairly easy. I plan on renting a bobcat & plate compactor and building the pool on a primary base of 3" of crushed limestone topped with 1-2" base of limestone dust after I remove the sod and 4" of soil. Should make for a rock solid base to lay 1-2" in sand on for the liner.

I guess a question you can help me with is your opinion of Wilbar pools. Are you satisfied with the quality of the pool's main components? Did you install it yourself and if so, any tips for making it easier?

Love our pool, Wilbar mfgs many brands. We have installed all of our piols, this one 7 years ago I believe. ovals are more difficult than round. Use a transit or other device to be sure you are level, take no shortcuts on that. Do yourself a favor and use some type of pad or foam base (we have gorrilla pad) and put in foam cove. We never had either before and added them with our new liner last year, as well as wall foam. So much better and worth the extra $. Be SURE that you install your liner on a SUNNY day, not just warm but sunny, as the sun makes the vinyl like soft butter and easy to work. A shop vac will help in removing wrinkles as you fill. We hard plumbed the whole setup with pvc, flex pipes are a pain and prone to leaks and blowouts. JMHO but solar panels are cheap but efficient heat sources and a SWG makes water maintenance so easy, I wouldnt go without mine. Remember that there are no stupid questions.

Spray adhesive - and get more than the instructions call for - it's not enough and not something you do half way then pick up the next day. Nice to have 2 people to install it as well, one to hold and feed the roll, one to do the install - spray your areas about 6-8' ahead (generously) so it can get tacky before starting. Place the foam just like wall paper except sideways instead of top down - smoothing as you go, do not get bubbles and gaps, take your time. Cut the wall foam openings a bit larger than your return and skimmer so it doesn't interfere with the gaskets. It only comes in 48" so you will have a "gap" at the top to the top rail, no biggy - just don't leave the gap at the bottom. Although we had the adhesive backed foam cove, we also used the spray adheasive on those to get a perfect fit and no gaps/bulges. We also used Gorrilla Pad, which we love, but any type of pad is better than none IMHO. We had a round steel side, then this pool without the wall foam, cove or pad, then installed all of that with the last liner replacement. MUCH better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.