New Pool Quote - Help Please, newbie

Jun 6, 2011
Canada
Found this very informative site just in time.
looking to finalize pool quote this week for a vinyl liner build in Canada and would appreciate input/advice as i have never owned a pool
swim season is only about months here
here is the quote details:

18x36 vinyl in ground (shape similar to humpback kidney but both ends same radius, megna pools)
30 mil full pattern liner
concrete cantilever coping matching the deck surface
3' pool perimeter stamped concrete (additional stamped concrete $16/sq ft)
hayward tristar 1/2 hp pump (SP3205EE 1/2 hp single speed with a service factor of 2.26 which equals 1.13 total hp)
hayward 250,00 natural gas heater
hayward 425 ft2 cartridge filter
aquarite 40,000 gal swcg
widemouth skimmer, 2 returns, dual drains
individual plumbing lines from skimmer and drains
valves for skimmer and drains flow adjustment
2 - 8' roman steps in blue (alps manufacturing)
3' rico rock waterfall with additional rocks
colorlogic led lighting
robotic e.vac cleaner

excavation/fill removal
14g steel wall lifetime warranty
ground water protection system
integral steel deck support upgrade
gas & electrical hookups
all equipment plumbed on concrete pad
water truck fill
1 opening & 1 closing
$500 starter chemical kit
all hoses, brushes, hose/pole hangers
solar cover with roller
tarp style cover with water bags (optional safety cover $3329, very likely getting this)

total quote $63195 all taxes/fees/permits included

have attached some of the pics that came with the quote, although amount on extra stamped concrete is to be determined
would like to know where in Canada i can get a hold of the recommended water test kits
all info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 286
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 286
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 286
you mean on top of the "widemouth skimmer, 2 returns, dual drains" listed above?
does the waterfall not count as a return as well?
not sure what exactly comes in the chemical package
didn't really ask due to your pool school info
thanks for the link to the test kit
ouch, can your test kit be bought/brought into Canada

I guess my thinking on free form pools is the more circulation the better. I am treating a large free form around 40,000 gallons and it has three skimmers and there is always one corner, depending on the wind direction where all the crud keeps blowing. They needed to either move one of the skimmers or add one... lol I would pay close attention to the prevailing warm weather winds when choosing your skimmer spot. I would say 2 are better than one. The waterfall can be a "return" of sorts - its also a constant source of aeration - which return jets are not.

I would ask for a list of the chem package and if its anything more than salt, some liquid chlorine and CYA say no thank you and purchase your own ala carte lol

frustratedpoolmom said:
2" plumbing i hope?
i don't know
will have to ask tomorrow
should it be absolutely/positively 2" plumbing?
sorry, like i said i'm a total newbie at this but have read through the pool school
will also ask about a second skimmer
pool owners i have talked with in my area say they run their pool pump usually 24 hrs a day
does this sound right to you?

It depends on the size of the pump, the runtime. If its a variable or 2 speed pump that has a low setting then yes, running it 24/7 is fine and on the lower speeds actually costs less than less run time on high speed. Hope that makes sense... The bigger the filter the better - that's not always the same with a pump. At least they aren't trying to oversell you a big pump, your filter/pump pairing seem fine to me. No, it doesn't HAVE to be 2" plumbing...those with more knowledge on the plumbing will be along to chime in I'm sure.. :)

thanks frustratedpoolmom
appreciate the info and quick replies
i'm pretty sure that is the reason the chose the tristar 1/2 hp pump in my area
what are the pros/cons for the 2" plumbing?
the company i am dealing with is very reputable in my area
it's a pretty steep learning curve trying to figure this all out and get it right the first time
any other suggestions on equipment or items i am missing?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Read as many threads in the build/construction forum as your eyes will allow LOL

Get everything in writing :)

Take and share with us lots of pics....

Get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Recreation-56534-SUNRAY/dp/B0006N8T7C

and one of these
http://www.retrotvads.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/miller.jpg

:cheers:

actually the quote does have everything i mentioned listed in detail but not the pluming size
would still like more info on that, forum surfing i go
the second link doesn't work for me but i get the idea
can hardly wait
thanks again for the info

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
found specs on the tristar 1/2 hp pump in my quote
it's a SP3205EE 1/2 hp single speed with a service factor of 2.26 which equals 1.13 total hp
from what i've read running it 24/7 in my area should be pretty energy efficient

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.