Hi from Texas

Jun 6, 2011
I just registered, but found the site on Google searches over the last couple of months as I work on fixing up an older pool I found good info on pool pump replacement here, and thought it was time to join. I found folks that downsized to a smaller pump and I did the same, with good results. I now have a 1/2 horse Hayward Tristar pump which replaced a leaky 1.5 horse Hayward Super Pump. It is doing better and cost about 1/2 to operate, real happy with it. Also found out about PhosFree on this site and that really made a difference. Now looking to put in a Loop-Loc solid pool cover. Thanks for all the advice so far.
-daninsatx

daninsatx said:
Also found out about PhosFree on this site and that really made a difference.
Are you sure you are talking about this site? Usually we don't recommend using phosphate removers and instead recommend maintaining a Free Chlorine (FC) level high enough for the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level since doing that means phosphate levels won't matter.

Ok, maybe I did not find the info on the Phosfree here. It does work for me though. I had tried high Free Chl for several seasons and never could get it cleared out permanently. Now having good luck with the first couple of liters of Phosfree and maintaining normal FC levels + weekly shock. Also got say the 1/2 horse tristar pump has worked out great on my 17K pool. Local pool supply all suggested 1 horse or better but people here reported good luck with the smaller pump and I went ahead and got one. I think it saves me about 20 dollars a month on electricity. It pumps as good as the old one and is better design and is quieter. So thanks for that help.

Now looking for a loop loc solid cover to allow us to leave the pool unattended for a couple of months in hot Texas summer. Anyone experienced with this application of the product? I have seen it installed at a friends house and he recommends it but uses it more normally for winter pool closing. Thanks in advance.

daninsatx said:
I had tried high Free Chl for several seasons and never could get it cleared out permanently. Now having good luck with the first couple of liters of Phosfree and maintaining normal FC levels + weekly shock.
If you only found us over the last couple of months, then you probably didn't know about the FC/CYA relationship so even high FC several seasons ago may not have been enough to prevent algae growth if the CYA level was very high due to use of stabilized chlorine products. So while you can certainly spend more on PhosFree and do weekly shocking, just realize that there is an alternative that does not require any additional algaecide, phosphate remover, clarifier, flocculant or weekly shocking.

Now looking for a loop loc solid cover to allow us to leave the pool unattended for a couple of months in hot Texas summer. Anyone experienced with this application of the product? I have seen it installed at a friends house and he recommends it but uses it more normally for winter pool closing. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!!

While I've never heard of a 'summer cover' the idea is sound. I assume you head to a cooler area of the country in the summer :goodjob:

I've got 1 suggestion on the solid cover - look into the tighter weave (which blocks ~all of the UV) mesh covers, they are lighter and easier to 'play' with! You'll still get silt in the pool, but you'd get that trough the drain panels on a solid cover, but the weight difference makes the 'tight weave' mesh cover a preferable idea.

Thanks for the feedback, I will get a test kit and try the BBB method once my supplies run out. Yes we do escape Texas in the Summer, now that we are retired. I had bad luck with the pool left in the hands of others for the summer and I think a pool cover will help with that.

Undecided about solid vs mesh, I appreciate Ted's vote for the mesh. I am leaning that way. My goal would be to leave the pool shutdown with the cover on while we are gone. If that is not feasible, then run the pump a bit every day, but shut off the valve to the skimmer. I think this would allow me to use the mesh fabric since it takes care of the worry about pool losing water to evaporation and then sucking air from the skimmer.

Now have to decide if I can do it or spend a lot more and have the local guys do it. Anyone use PoolCenter ? i got a good quote from them, compared to the local store. I have a 'lazy L' with spa design pool which is 40' by 22' at the widest spots, which makes it expensive. it is about 1200 more expensive to have the local store order and install it, with 600 of that being labor, I wouldn't mind giving the the 600 for the labor, but don't having to spend extra for the material.

thanks!
Dan

Dan, I can tell you how to install a safety cover! But I can't guarantee that it will be within your time frame :( If I lived closer to you, I'd do it for much less than the $600 your pool co. charges.

PM me for more info, if you want to DIY :)