Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My outdoor entertainment area. Warning: Pic heavy

1. Back To Top    #1

My outdoor entertainment area. Warning: Pic heavy

Just thought I would share what I have put together for outdoor entertaining.

We started off with a flagstone patio a few years back. With that we put in lighting, a grill area and speakers for music. This year we added the pool and with that realized we needed more coverage for sound. The new pool deck lounge area was out of reach of the original patio speakers, unless they were cranked to a level that would disturb the neighbors around us.

I decided to another pair of speakers and install independent volume controls for each pair. This serves two purposes. The volume controls will match the impedance of the amplifier to avoid damage to the amp. It also allows me to have independent control over each zone. This came in handy as you will see.

I also decided to add a television to the mix. I had an extra 32" TV that we were not using so I decided to give that a try. I mounted it under the covered porch to keep it out of the elements. I found a great little mount that allows me to swivel the TV to be viewed from multiple locations.

The audio and video sources are conveniently located in the bedroom that is adjacent to the wall where the TV is mounted. All I had to do was get some CL2 rated cables and run them up the wall and through the header. I added a GFIC outlet and ran power from there as well. The audio source used to be an old Pioneer receiver. After a little research, I found that Sherwood makes a great little stereo receiver that supports four pairs of speaker and two switched zones. I also added the best thing since sliced bread, the Apple airport exchange. This little device allows me to stream music from my home PC running iTunes, from my iPhone ipod and from other nice apps like Pandora on my iPhone and iPad. I have complete control with my phone including volume levels. I cannot say how nice this feature is, and the cost was only an additional $100. It is truly amazing.

This is where the independently wired paired speakers came in handy. Since the patio area and the pool lounge area are somewhat isolated sonically, I am able to have a television show running at the patio simultaneously with music at the pool lounge.

Let me know what you think.

Here are some pics:
    TV HDMI and Outlet

TV in covered patio:

TV swung out to patio area. You can also see the right speaker there:

Volume controls:

Patio and left speaker:

Pool lounge area speakers under eves:

Pool lounge area:

View of pool area from grill:
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My outdoor entertainment area. Warning: Pic heavy

Tied together nicely.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

WooT! That is a nice setup. Very nice, in fact. Great idea with the TV and such. You will have many days/nights of enjoyment out there. Congrats.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

4. Back To Top    #4

Beautiful !!!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Why go inside?

Looks great.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of speakers are those? I need to add 2 more speakers to complement my bose 151. I would like a little more base than the bose 151 puts out. What is the make of the volume controls?
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought one of the volume controls a few years back for the original speakers at the patio. The second one is made by BIC. Go on Amazon and do a search there are several. I probably would not get the BIC one knowing what I do now. The plate is not standard and made for single gang only. I had to do some work on it with an exacto knife.

The speakers at the patio are Polk Atrium 45s. The newer ones are Polk 4s. Can't go wrong with either. Again, look on Amazon and compare. I think they have some Polk Atrium 65s right now for about one fifty. Great price for them, and you will get better base response with any of these over the 151s.
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager
    Why go inside?
    We don't much

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice!!
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by loweran
    I bought one of the volume controls a few years back for the original speakers at the patio. The second one is made by BIC. Go on Amazon and do a search there are several. I probably would not get the BIC one knowing what I do now. The plate is not standard and made for single gang only. I had to do some work on it with an exacto knife.

The speakers at the patio are Polk Atrium 45s. The newer ones are Polk 4s. Can't go wrong with either. Again, look on Amazon and compare. I think they have some Polk Atrium 65s right now for about one fifty. Great price for them, and you will get better base response with any of these over the 151s.
    I'll second on the Polks...I've had the 45's for 3 years now and they sound as crisp as when they were new
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Very nice!
    Size 12,000 gal | Filtration Jandy 340 CL Cartridge | Sanitation Jandy 1400 AquaPure SWG | Placement In-ground Gunite | Finish Medium Gray Plaster | Automation Jandy Aqualink RS w/PDA6
    Pump Jandy 2.5hp 2 speed Stealth | Location New Orleans LA
    Heat Jandy EE2000t
    Test kit Taylor K-2006 (fas-dpd)

12. Back To Top    #12

nicely done!
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks great. Are you worried about the humidity and the TV's electronics? I would like to put a TV outside, but without buying a outside TV I don't think one would survive here for long.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought and mounted a 46" LCD TV outside over the outdoor fireplace. It is protected by a roof, but humidity/wind, etc. are all a concern.

A friend turned me onto a program at Best Buy under their Geek Squad program. It is a 4 year warranty that covers everything. I don't usually buy
    extended warranties, but this particular warranty covers a bad pixel, water damage - anything. I explicitly asked the sales person about this, even
    telling him that I was hanging this TV outdoors, even though it is not designed for outdoor usage. He said yes - everything and anything is covered.

I'd certainly welcome the scrutiny of anyone on this forum to double-check me on the warranty details, but for right now it certainly puts my mind at ease.

Slade
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

15. Back To Top    #15

Oh man... looks awesome. Next party invite me lol
    My pool:
    15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Jandy Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy AquaLink RS OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes and computer control
    JVAs control pool/spa switch and also allow drain opening
    Hayward Navigator

16. Back To Top    #16

I am interested to see how well the tv holds up. It's hot in the summer for sure. I think the life will be shortened, but unsure how much. Time will tell. I have a neighbor who has two 42" TVs mounted under his cabana. He has covers for them. Not sure how much that will help. Might keep dust out.

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks awesome. But how about the noise and the neighbours?
    As for the warrenty: I would like to see it written: outdoor use is covered... just to be sure.
    Sunspa Monaco in the garden since March 2011.

18. Back To Top    #18

Neighbors are OK. That is actually why I added the second pair of speakers to begin with. They can each be run at lower volumes. Reality is that the kids are a lot louder than the music.

19. Back To Top    #19

Very nice!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by loweran
    Is there something else I can use to control the volume on 2 pairs of speakers? I remember I used to have a fader knob which would adjust volume on 2 sets of speakers in an old boat. I am looking to go very inexpensive
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast