Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Frog Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Frog Problem

Hello, I am a new pool owner and noticed that my chlorine has been getting low (even after a shock). I checked the "pool frog" and noticed it was out of chlorine tabs. I did not have another "frog bac pac" so I thought I could put the empty pac back in and still run the filter. When I tried water started shooting out of the "pool frog" (while covered). I later realized that I did not turn the dial (on the frog) to the "replace pak" setting. When I get a full pak will this problem be gone or did I do some damage with my stupidity?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Frog Problem

Welcome to TFP!

The best and most recommended Pool Frog intervention here at TFP is to stop using the Pool Frog. They add metals to your water and this causes staining and interesting hair colors. Stop using it.

Please read Pool School and consider getting a high quality test kit. It will save you $$$$ and your water will be better for it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you didn't get the top back on correctly or the o-ring got out of track. Running an empty bac pak is the best thing you can do with a Pool Frog. Take the top back off and check and lube the o-ring and put it all back together.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Oooh, ooh! Where's frustrated pool mom? She's the pool frog expert!!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditch the frog...lol

I know this is not at all what you came here for and Bama pretty much summed it up - the top just isn't seated correctly.

Ditch the frog...
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...uth-t3025.html
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Bama. I found the O-ring this morning and put it back on with no issues. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had the "Frog" chlorinator system for over 10 years now, and I have found it to be a very efficient way to feed chlorine to my pool. I stopped purchasing the incredibly expensive "pacs" many years ago, instead filling the old cartridge with 1 inch tabs that I buy at a local Leslies Pool store. I also have the PCC 2000 in ground cleaning system, so my pool stays crystal clear all of the time.
    11,000 gallon Tahoe blue pebble tec, PCC 2000 in floor cleaning system, with two Pentair 1.7HP cleaning pumps, and a separate pump for water feature, Frog chlorinator, 60 SF DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jerrypar72
    I've had the "Frog" chlorinator system for over 10 years now, and I have found it to be a very efficient way to feed chlorine to my pool. I stopped purchasing the incredibly expensive "pacs" many years ago, instead filling the old cartridge with 1 inch tabs that I buy at a local Leslies Pool store. I also have the PCC 2000 in ground cleaning system, so my pool stays crystal clear all of the time.
    Have you tested your CYA level recently? I bet it's real high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrypar72
    Have you tested your CYA level recently? I bet it's real high.

I am new to this site. How do you put the tabs in the cartridge for the pool frog?
    grandma to 11

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool Frog Problem

When your having issues at the end of the pool season from high cya you guys will wish you listened.
    I speak from experience!
    Do ourself a favor and read pool school and go BBB
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

This was not the kind of pool frog problem I had imagined when I read the title Although none of the frogs in my pool are good at dispensing chlorine, either!
    20,000 gal in-ground w/ vinyl liner; Goldline Aqua Rite SWG; Hayward sand filter; Hayward .75hp pump; 1.5 hp booster pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; AquaCheck Salt Test Strips

12. Back To Top    #12

We used to have a very bad pool frog problem due to the fresh water pond 50 feet from our pool. Since we have converted to a SWCG we almost never see them around the pool anymore. The salt water seems to stun them and kills them if we don't get them out of the skimmers fast enough. For the most part they just never come near it anymore. The turtles avoid it now too. Fortunately the alligators are too big to fit under the fences. I wish I could say the same for the salt water spiders.... big (3/4 inch sized) hairy brown ones are in the skimmers every day now... I think they like their dinners lightly salted....
    35,000 gal in ground vinyl, 20 x 40 rectangle diving pool, Pentair Superflo 1 hp/1.25 SF pump, 300 lb sand filter, Pentair IC60 Salt Water Clorine Generator, 65 lb canine daily swimmer