Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to keep pool warmer.

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to keep pool warmer.

Just a few questions on keeping the temp in the pool at the highest. Should i turn the pump off at night with the solar blanket on. Should i pull the blanket off during the day (if i plan on using it that afternoon.) Does the solar blanket help heat or does it just help keep the heat in
    Thanks
    18' x 52" Intex steel frame pool
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to keep pool warmer.

The biggest thing the blanket does is prevent evaporation shich is how the majority of heat leaves the pool. Running the pump won't affect the heat loss if the blanket is on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

i found the blanket wants to spin with the current when on does this cause any problen or should i turn the pump off when the blanket is on
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't cause a problem The only way it would cause a problem is if it blocked the skimmer but that isn't likely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I turn my pump off at night when I know we will have a cooler evening and I want to maintain a higher temperature. I don't like to take the chance of losing any more heat than we have to when we have cool nights & I feel like running the water through the pipes that are in contact with the cooler air can have an affect... maybe minimal, but I don't take the chance because the warmth is too precious to us. When it gets a little warmer at night I will likely run the pump more often during the night partly because of less chance of heat loss and partly because of higher swimmer loads. If the outdoor temperatures aren't going to get below the temperature of the pool water we probably won't bother with the cover those nights.

Hubby and I like our pool water relatively warm and I strive to keep every bit of heat for much of the spring and fall months. Every little bit counts where we live... I can imagine it's even more so where you are!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

You may want to think about a couple of inexpensive solar panels for heating your pool water. They connect right into your pump/filtration system. We love ours because when the sun is out for a day or two we can bring the temp up 10 degrees. It is a little frustrating when you have overcast days and cool nights. With an above ground pool in those conditions you are going to lose your heat. But with panels you can recover quickly.
    AGP 18'X33' 52" 16K Gal
    1 hp Hayward cartridge filter &
    In-Line Chlorinator
    Solar Panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Evaporation is the biggest cause of heat loss.

Always keep this in mind when deciding to take the cover off during the day.

If it is a warm humid day, you will get more warming on the pool with the cover off.

If the humidity is low, or there is wind (wind increases evaporation), you are likely better off leaving the cover on.
    35x19 15,000 gal, SWG, Pentair equip, 100% solar coverage, 400K heater, 9x7 spa Inground 3M Bora Bora with Dark Gray plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for the tips
    it is still getting cool in the evening here and over night. I t was 20 this eve when i got in , a bit cool but nice for the first swim.
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada