Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Help

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Help

I know I dont have all the information you guys need but I am just about to get started. I bought a house in the fall and pulled the cover off the pool today. It is an above ground. They never used chlorine i was told, but used something else. I can only see about a foot into the water and it has hundreds and hundreds of little tadpoles in it. I attached a photo. I dont know anything about pools and a few people are recommending draining the pool. I read online mixed things about if it is ok to drain or not. I was told the pool had been opened but I think it may have been not been. I just do not want to drain and damage the pool. Also if it is ok to drain, what should be used to clean the liner?

20 x 40 gunite in ground pool, 400,00 btu Laars heater, 24" Hayward sand filter, 2hp Hayward Northstar pump, Hayward offline chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Help

First off, welcome, secondly, don't panic. I've seen pictures of just as bad or worst on here turned to sparkling water in no time, with some effort of course. First things first, do you have a way to test the water? If you don't have a good test kit I recommend getting one (links on this forum for options) and reading through pool school when you have time (starting right now ) Next you need to remove as much of the debris as possible. Hopefully you have a net of some sort to scoop it all out.

Do you have all of the pump/filter equipment? Is it hooked up? There are also good pictures and definitions of what the different components are/do in pool school.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. I talked to a guy that fills pools and he said with the heat if we drained the pool it would probably end up ruining the liner. He said just work on it like you recommended.
    20 x 40 gunite in ground pool, 400,00 btu Laars heater, 24" Hayward sand filter, 2hp Hayward Northstar pump, Hayward offline chlorinator