Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is TA of around 250 a bad thing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is TA of around 250 a bad thing?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I'm converting my vinyl 40,000 gal inground (baker hydro 50 sq foot cart filter) from Baquacil. I had used Baq for several years, starting with great results and ending wish bad results. In the end, the real reason I switch is to save myself from $250 trips to the pool store... 5 or 6 times a season.

At any rate, opened the pool, pH was right, so I started the perpetual shock of 15ppm FC. First day was constant adding, has been eating it more slowly now, so I guess everything is working. I purchased the recommended test kit and have been using that and the pool calc for numbers.

One potential problem. My water has always been very alcaline, both times I ran the TA test it came out around 250 (CH is also high at 280). Will this cause problems?

Phil B

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Is TA of around 250 a bad thing?

Welcome to TFP!

In the midst of your conversion from baq to chlorine, a high TA isn't really worth dealing with. What matters is your pH. Finish your conversion and then you can address the TA.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

What he said. Clear it first, then worry.

CH of 280 is like my tap water at certain times of the year! I'd love to have my pool that low! TA can be reduced with acid and aeration. But be sure you're completely done with the conversion before you worry about anything else. Worrying about TA during a baquagoo conversion is like worrying about your manicure while undergoing chemotherapy. It can wait.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

you have a 40,000 gallon pool and a 50 sf cart? Is that a misprint?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I ignored the TA for now as recommended and got the pH into the proper range with some acid.
    It's been about 5 days now, pool was milky green with maybe a foot of visibility. Now the pool is blue, clear, sparkling, and nearly spotless. It's really working out nicely, thanks for the advice!

6. Back To Top    #6

With high TA...just keep a close eye on PH. Everytime it gets to 7.8, lower it to 7.2 with muratic acid, which will also drop TA some
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator