Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were off?

Let's say "theoretically" someone shut the valves off for his solar supply and return lines, then turned the pump on. The solar lines are directly after the filter, so it would be pump -> filter -> solar. There is a JVA that diverts the water after the filter to the solar panels (if the solar sensor on the roof is 3 degrees warmer than the water temperature). After the JVA is the solar supply line and then a solar return line. Both the solar supply and return lines have manual shut offs. If these were off and the pump ran (for about 3 or 4 mins) where would the pressure build up, and what could potentially be damaged?
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were o

All the equipment can handle the pressure of a dead head pump so pressure should not be high enough to damage anything. However, if the flow rate was zero, then heat could have built up in the pump and specifically the seals but I doubt it was that significant after only 3 minutes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Where would pressure build up if lines after pump were o

Thanks. Luckily my next stop after turning the pump on was to clean the skimmer basket. That's when I noticed that there was a distinct lack of skimming going on, and had an 'oh ****' moment.

The flow rate was zero, but I could see water swirling around in the pump, hopefully cooling everything.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre