Switching To Sand. What Size Would You Recommend?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I’ve got a 24K gallon IG pool with a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump. I have one skimmer with 2” piping and 2 returns with 1.5” piping.

I currently use a Hayward EC65 DE filter, but the maintenance of it is driving me crazy. I’m switching to SWG and also switching to a sand filter.

As far as size goes, would you guys recommend the Hayward S220T, the S244T, or the S270T Sand Filter? Also I should take into physical considerations. If one is much larger than the others, but I could get away with the others, then I’d prefer that.

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm...The 600lb ones seem to be a bit over my budget. Could I get away with a 300lb? What would the difference mean? More backwashing and longer summer startups?

(It's weird how Hayward doesn't seem to post these kind of specs on their site)

Hey,

So there's a used S244t on CL for $150. Looks to be in decent shape. Before I pull the trigger, do you guys have a round-abouts estimate of how often I'd need to backwash it during Spring Startup with a green pool? With my DE Filter, I have to bump it every couple of hours and change the DE every day or every other day. It's pretty annoying. If I went for a 350 lb Sand Filter would I be backwashing once a day during spring startup? Once every few days? Once a week? I've never owned a sand filter so I'm just trying to gain an understanding of the advantages I'd be seeing if I switched to it.

Thanks a lot!

We have a 300# sand filter on a 18x36 sport depth of about 17,500 gal.
During the construction phase (when lots of dirt was blowing around) we had to backwash every 2 or 3 days.
Now that we have landscaping we have not needed to backwash in over 2 weeks.
The other info I can offer is that a sand filter will take several days (if not a week) to really clean dirty water, i.e. after a storm during construction phase. For a while I was even considering adding D.E. Eventually the water cleared nicely and is now beautiful and sparkly.
Backwashing a sand filter is simple, and is not messy. However, you will lose a couple hundred gallons of water each time you do.

Best of luck,
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey folks,

Sorry to bring up this old topic here, but it's still on my high priority to-do list. Thank you for everyone's help! I've got a couple of quick follow-up questions.

JasonLion, I'd like to take your advice and go for the larger filter. I'm looking at a 500 lb Hayward. When I mentioned this in passing at my local pool store, the guy there was telling me that my pump wouldn't be powerful enough for something that big. Do you agree? I have a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump. I've got 2" plumbing coming from the skimmer, reduced to 1.5" for the pump. I've also got 2 returns, which are both 1.5". It's a 24k gallon IG pool. Thanks!

Also, assuming I plumb the filter with unions, is there any difference between going with a top-mount vs side-mount filter? Is there one I should be leaning more towards? The side mount comes at about a $200 increase in price, but if there's a big difference...

Thanks again everyone!

NullQwerty said:
I'm looking at a 500 lb Hayward. When I mentioned this in passing at my local pool store, the guy there was telling me that my pump wouldn't be powerful enough for something that big.

I have a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump.
As far as filtration is concerned, there is no minimum flow rate required. In fact, the slower, the better. The critical requirement is the backwash flow rate, which should be about 15 gpm per square foot of effective surface area. The 500 lb. sand filter is 4.91 square feet of effective surface area, which means that the ideal backwash flow rate is about 74 gpm. Your 1 H.P Superpump would work well with a 4.91 square foot sand filter.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 002__I.htm

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literat ... -Mount.pdf

I have a 500lb filter, described at the bottom of my post. When I run my pump on low speed (most of the time) the filter pressure ia around 4psi. I do not have high bather loads, backwash about every 3-4 weeks. I do add some DE to it, also use skimmer socks. For my setup I would have liked a 700lb. filter, or a VF-pump. With my pump on high the pressure rises to 22psi.

lol...The official answer is: "Oh no, that was just hypothetical. You know, worst case scenario". The unofficial answer is "You can open to a pool that's not green?" ;) Just kidding...real reason is because this year and last year, during this patio/backyard construction phase, I couldn't get my cover's anchors in the ground in time, so my pool went uncovered for these 2 winters. Wife = Unhappy. Ducks = Ecstatic

That's why my cover is just staked out, with water tubes on the end where that is not possible (closest to the house). Tried the water tubes before - not too fond of them except where necessary. I used 6-8 inch eye bolts from the hardware store for my stakes.

And on your original question - I'd agree with Jason - for a sand filter , get as big as you can afford / have space for. The bigger it is, the less often it will need backflushing (and a better job filter it will do)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.