Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching To Sand. What Size Would You Recommend?

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching To Sand. What Size Would You Recommend?

Hey folks,

I’ve got a 24K gallon IG pool with a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump. I have one skimmer with 2” piping and 2 returns with 1.5” piping.

I currently use a Hayward EC65 DE filter, but the maintenance of it is driving me crazy. I’m switching to SWG and also switching to a sand filter.

As far as size goes, would you guys recommend the Hayward S220T, the S244T, or the S270T Sand Filter? Also I should take into physical considerations. If one is much larger than the others, but I could get away with the others, then I’d prefer that.

Thanks a lot!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching To Sand. What Size Would You Recommend?

Get the largest one you can afford and have room for, preferably a 600 lb sand filter. Larger filters can go longer between backwashing and filter better than smaller filters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A 600 lb filter isn't huge, at least it doesn't seem real big to me. Even with a pool the size of mine, the maintenance is minimal.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm...The 600lb ones seem to be a bit over my budget. Could I get away with a 300lb? What would the difference mean? More backwashing and longer summer startups?

(It's weird how Hayward doesn't seem to post these kind of specs on their site)
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

5. Back To Top    #5

I have absolutely no experience with them, but if I had a 300 lb I'd have seriously considered the Pentair Triton with ClearPro. They don't offer ClearPro in the 600 lb filter. It sounds plausible that it would better filter the water than the regular one, but again I post the disclaimer that I haven't had one myself.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... gy-205.htm
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have several pools using the EC-65 with good results. The maintenance is minimal as long as the water is kept in proper balance.

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is about 27400G and I have a 300# sand.....works fine!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

A larger filter means longer between backwashing and slightly better filtering. Having a really big filter is nice, but it isn't required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey,

So there's a used S244t on CL for $150. Looks to be in decent shape. Before I pull the trigger, do you guys have a round-abouts estimate of how often I'd need to backwash it during Spring Startup with a green pool? With my DE Filter, I have to bump it every couple of hours and change the DE every day or every other day. It's pretty annoying. If I went for a 350 lb Sand Filter would I be backwashing once a day during spring startup? Once every few days? Once a week? I've never owned a sand filter so I'm just trying to gain an understanding of the advantages I'd be seeing if I switched to it.

Thanks a lot!

10. Back To Top    #10

We have a 300# sand filter on a 18x36 sport depth of about 17,500 gal.
    During the construction phase (when lots of dirt was blowing around) we had to backwash every 2 or 3 days.
    Now that we have landscaping we have not needed to backwash in over 2 weeks.
    The other info I can offer is that a sand filter will take several days (if not a week) to really clean dirty water, i.e. after a storm during construction phase. For a while I was even considering adding D.E. Eventually the water cleared nicely and is now beautiful and sparkly.
    Backwashing a sand filter is simple, and is not messy. However, you will lose a couple hundred gallons of water each time you do.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey folks,

Sorry to bring up this old topic here, but it's still on my high priority to-do list. Thank you for everyone's help! I've got a couple of quick follow-up questions.

JasonLion, I'd like to take your advice and go for the larger filter. I'm looking at a 500 lb Hayward. When I mentioned this in passing at my local pool store, the guy there was telling me that my pump wouldn't be powerful enough for something that big. Do you agree? I have a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump. I've got 2" plumbing coming from the skimmer, reduced to 1.5" for the pump. I've also got 2 returns, which are both 1.5". It's a 24k gallon IG pool. Thanks!

Also, assuming I plumb the filter with unions, is there any difference between going with a top-mount vs side-mount filter? Is there one I should be leaning more towards? The side mount comes at about a $200 increase in price, but if there's a big difference...

Thanks again everyone!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    I'm looking at a 500 lb Hayward. When I mentioned this in passing at my local pool store, the guy there was telling me that my pump wouldn't be powerful enough for something that big.

I have a 1 HP Hayward SuperPump.
    As far as filtration is concerned, there is no minimum flow rate required. In fact, the slower, the better. The critical requirement is the backwash flow rate, which should be about 15 gpm per square foot of effective surface area. The 500 lb. sand filter is 4.91 square feet of effective surface area, which means that the ideal backwash flow rate is about 74 gpm. Your 1 H.P Superpump would work well with a 4.91 square foot sand filter.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 002__I.htm

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literat ... -Mount.pdf

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a 500lb filter, described at the bottom of my post. When I run my pump on low speed (most of the time) the filter pressure ia around 4psi. I do not have high bather loads, backwash about every 3-4 weeks. I do add some DE to it, also use skimmer socks. For my setup I would have liked a 700lb. filter, or a VF-pump. With my pump on high the pressure rises to 22psi.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Your 1 H.P Superpump would work well with a 4.91 square foot sand filter.
    Awesome! Thanks for running those calcs and confirming for me. Much appreciated!

15. Back To Top    #15

The real question is why are you opening to a green pool ?

On the top mount question, if you get one (and save the $$) put the unions closer to the multiport valve
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

16. Back To Top    #16

lol...The official answer is: "Oh no, that was just hypothetical. You know, worst case scenario". The unofficial answer is "You can open to a pool that's not green?" Just kidding...real reason is because this year and last year, during this patio/backyard construction phase, I couldn't get my cover's anchors in the ground in time, so my pool went uncovered for these 2 winters. Wife = Unhappy. Ducks = Ecstatic

17. Back To Top    #17

That's why my cover is just staked out, with water tubes on the end where that is not possible (closest to the house). Tried the water tubes before - not too fond of them except where necessary. I used 6-8 inch eye bolts from the hardware store for my stakes.

And on your original question - I'd agree with Jason - for a sand filter , get as big as you can afford / have space for. The bigger it is, the less often it will need backflushing (and a better job filter it will do)
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter