Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Troubleshooting return leak for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Troubleshooting return leak for above ground pool

im putting n a new liner. i have the two seals for the intake and i have the two seals for the return. last year i still had small leaks though. is there anything you can put on the seals to make the seal even stronger.
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sealing the intake and return

You can use silicone but I don't recommend it. The best thing to do is put the gaskets in the proper order and tighten them down correctly. It usually doesn't require a lot of force to get them to seal. When putting the skimmer in don't tighten the screws down until you have them all in and snugged up. Then tighten them from the center out alternating top and bottom, side to side.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

should i lube the return along with plumbers tape?

just installed new liner. water is filled pretty high. its at the point to where i can install the intake and the return. my question is: when i screw together the return do i just use plumbers tape or should i use plumbers tape and lube. or should i just use lube.

the reason im asking is because we kept having a steady drop of water coming from the return. THANKS TFP!!!!!

i tell everyone at the poll stores about this site!!!!!!
    24' X 52" round above ground pool---13,500 gallons---Hayward power flow matrix 1.5 hp pump---Hayward 21 in. variflow XL sandfilter---Louisville, Ky

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: should i lube the return along with plumbers tape?

You should really use paste for plastic piping. It works better than tape especially for larger fittings.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

can give me a link to this "paste product" THANKS!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

can i put this paste onmy hoses as well. or will it be impossible to break the seal once "pasted"

7. Back To Top    #7

also if i use this paste and have to replace another liner in the future how hard will it be to break the seal?

8. Back To Top    #8

The paste is for threaded fittings. If you have hoses and barbed fittings you can use silicone caulking on them and it helps. You have to let it dry before exposing it to water. It's hard to get off once it's cured but it can be done.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

im confused!!

here goes a link to a video that will help explain what im talking about. (**** i sound country lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7PnGxFxBVk

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: im confused!!

O.k. so the larger piece fits inside the pool and the smaller piece screws into it from the outside, correct? Do you use a nut outside the pool to secure the larger piece to the pool wall?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Use a non-hardening teflon based pipe dope. Pipe dope works better on larger threaded joints, while teflon tape is better for smaller joints.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I used this stuff, hard to find unless you have a plumbing supply house. Or do like me and order everything online.

http://www.amazon.com/Teflon-Pipe-Joint ... 794&sr=8-4
    ~7000 gallon Intex AGP
    2650-Gallon Intex Sand Filter/Pump/SWG combo with Borates.
    Hayward AquaCritter

13. Back To Top    #13

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: HELP

If sand only went into the pool just once that is alright. But if it does that again, something is wrong. Really, sand shouldn't ever get into the pool, but now and then when you are first setting things up some sand gets into the wrong place and ends up in the pool.

The black gasket should seal tightly to the pool. The key thing is the gasket on the water side of the wall and how well it seals to the liner. The black gasket on the outside is much less important. The gasket should be free of any nicks or cuts and clean. Any dirt or debris can prevent it from sealing properly. You can also have problems if any of the plastic parts crack, which can happen if you tighten it down too much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

since my gasket is leaking should i drain the pool down buy new seals and hope for the best?

16. Back To Top    #16

HELP

Seeing that it is coming from the wall surface I would agree that it looks like the seal is bad or that it could be tightened down to much and making it pinch. If it were me that is what I would be checking out first.
    Intex Ultra-Frame 18x52
    Intex Sand/Salt Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

also with that non hardening paste should i just add more and tighten the pieces down more?

18. Back To Top    #18

The paste isn't important for the return fitting sealing to the liner. If you are having leaks from the threaded fittings on the filter, tighten them down some more.

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Troubleshooting return leak for above ground pool

There should not be anything between the outside pool wall and the black gasket. It looks like you may have some pipe dope under there, so clean it off if you do. The pipe dope is to lubricate and fill in the threads when pipes are screwed together. It helps seal threaded connections by allowing them to be screwed together more completely and filling in any tiny gaps where the two pipes are screwed together to prevent leaks. It will not make a watertight bond between to flat pieces of material.

Either clean or replace the black gasket and re-install it on the outside of the pool. You can use a little pipe dope on the nut that holds the return fitting to the pool wall but not on the gasket. Snug the nut a 1/4 turn past hand tight. If the connection still leaks, plug the return and dry the outside area well. Apply a bead of clear silicone caulk around the outside edge of the return and allow to cure as per package directions. Then unplug the return and test for leaks.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!