Gotten my chlorine generator in. Now A question from you.

Pool-creetin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Michigan
Hello and thanks for the many questions from the past. This stuff i cant find on the pool school.
Having a reef tank i know copper is very soluable in saltwater. Do you guys and gals have issue with this?
I have new heater with copper heat exchanger. I should have ponied up for the nickle. :(
Also My main drains have screws in them. I would suspect they are stainless, I hope not stainless plated. If they are plated do you think they will rust out quickly? I guess i could drain 2/3rds in a year or so and replace them to solid stainless.
I have to have my p's and q's in order as my wife will kill me if this pool go's to pot. LOL

Re: Gotten my chlorine generator in. Now A question from you

Over time, some copper will erode or leach from the exchanger. The four most important things you can do to reduce the amount of copper lost from the exchanger are:

1) Avoid excessive flow through the heater.
2) Avoid excessive chlorine levels relative to the cyanuric acid level (chlorine should be kept at about 7.5 % to 12.5 % of the cyanuric acid).
3) Avoid low pH (the pH should be kept at 7.5 to 7.8).
4) Avoid excessive salt levels. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines for salt, but do not maintain the salt higher than they recommend.

An additional option is to attach a zinc anode to the bond wire and bury it in moist ground to provide a steady flow of electrons towards the copper to prevent electrons from being lost from the copper.

Ok before i add salt heres my levels.
FC. 5.3
TC. 5.3
CC.0
PH 7.6
CH 190
alk 150
CA around 100 i hate looking atthat back dot and guessing. So + or minus 25. Pool store says i am at 25 lol.
Copper at 1.3. Yes its going down. :)
Iron at 0.5
I know i have to get ALK to around 100 minimum. Bought some muratic acid for that. Will airate while adding.
Going to get some borax today.
What should i add first when alk gets to desired levels? Borax?? Salt??
Oh he salt strips i bought said 700 ppm of SC pool store strips said 1500 ppm so i'll go in the middle and say 1000ppm. ;)

I used watersoftener salt it not as finely ground, but it was a couple bucks cheaper per bag. I needed 10 bags or so. It's one of those things you don't need to spend the extra money on. It dissolved pretty quickly anyways. I did the salt first, then added the borates. (I did the Borax and acid route)

Also you're salt level probably isn't at 0. Just a precaution. You my want to shoot for 500 or so PPM less. It's easier to add than take out.

Pool salt is just fine to use, but don't pay more than about $5 for 40 lbs, which is what water softener salt costs most places.

Go ahead and add salt any time. Remember to have the SWG turned off for 24 hours after adding salt.

Wait to add borates until your TA level comes down a bit.

Thanks!!!! Wallmart has it locally for $4.98 for 40 lb bags and its finely ground. I assume it will dissolve faster.
I took heater offline till i keep the ph stabil at 7.6
Off to get it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok FC and TC were between 5-6 yesterday, Well i was doing a little top off and cleaning last night and accidently knocked the bottle over vac'ing the pool. It was too late after i noticed it. Now FC and TC are 15. Is this too high to add the SWG today?? I dropped the cap of the deck and didnt go bother getting it. Hind sight is 20/20.

Thank you vey much jason for the help!! Its running and calibrating salt levels. Instant test shows 3100, Reads 2900. (Not done with the average for a 24 hr span) Need to pick up a couple more bags of salt to have on hand and raise it just a titch more. My test strips are pretty dang close to what the unit is reading.

Yes it is going smoothly in the transition in SWG. (Thanks to this site and Jason) But opening was a mixed bag of tricks. Used a closing kit that was given to me when i bought the pool. Followed instructions from the pool store and ruined the color on the liner (faded). He told me to just dump it all in and mix for an hour and it would be good to cover up. Well 1 hr of mixing 2 lbs of granular chlorine, full bottle of copper algaecide and there was something else i forgot what it was was not enough time. All in all I learned a very important lesson. Come here first, Go to pool school!!!!!!!

So far running very smoothly. The last week of operation tested daily.
FC 5 or 6 cant differentiate 100% Did the half test and same results. ;) I guess men are color blnd.
TC the same at 5-6
CC 0
Ph stabil at 7.5
alk at 110 ppm
Ca at 170
CYA a titch too high around 100 (Working on that with small waterchanges.
salt at 3300 ppm or 1.003 sg ;)
I know i will have to adjust when the sun gets stronger here, Right now its been in the low 80's and expected mid 70's coming up. The SWG has been running at 40%
I have had one party and my son and his friend swimming. Everybody says how much they like the salt feel. :)

Ok when i do add borates to the pool is this going to make my ph not stabil? I know there will be an initial spike, But there after. I have a steady ph at the moment and i dont want to rock the boat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.