Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return fittings question

1. Back To Top    #1

Return fittings question

I have these fittings on all my returns (I hope you can see them - this was about the only shot I could get since I don't have an underwater camera). To adjust the "eyeball" (which just seems to be a one sided lip) seems impossible. I can't move the thing at all and I don't know if I'm supposed to be unscrewing the whole part to get this pointed in the right direction or what.

I have tried finding this item on the internet but it seems like they might be too old to be sold anymore. Is there any possibility I could just try and screw these off (with DH being the muscle) and replace with an easier to adjust model? I noticed that some returns have a piece that you can buy that helps you adjust them - at least that's what it looks like.

Any ideas? This is the only one facing down in the pool and I really need it to face the surface to move things toward the skimmer.

Thanks
    Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return fittings question

You should be able to either turn it up or replace it with a movable eyeball fitting. Just rotate the fitting around.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just screws in and out. Try it with the pump off. Maybe use a rubber strap wrench or channel lock pliers if it's stubborn. Looks like whole thing is one piece. Mine is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I was not able to turn it up unfortunately. I'll try to get it off and replace it - thanks for the suggestions
    Temecula, CA
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

5. Back To Top    #5

Good news, when we loosened it up, we were able to move the eyeball. Thanks to DH and his endless supply of tools.
    Temecula, CA