About to start filling - but wrinkles on bottom?

mcgeggy

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
24'x52" round AGP, j-hook liner, sandy bottom with liner pad.

Last night we finally got the liner installed, though it was cloudy and only in the upper 60's. Today sunny and lower 80's and the liner really softened up. I have the shop vac running and the walls look great, but the floor still has bunching/ wrinkles, especially where the floor meets the walls. We used foam cove instead of sand, which makes for a lower cove than if sand were used. I got many of the wrinkles out across the center, but the ones around the edges are bugging me. The seam looks even all the way around, but I guess it would with a j-hook liner. The sandy bottom is a bit bumpy but it was like that under the old pool so I'm not concerned about it in that regard.

Should I be concerned about these wrinkles? Will they smooth out as the water pushes the liner into the cove? I just don't want them to be an issue when I am vacuuming the bottom.

Any thoughts? Really anxious to turn the hose on! :-D

Take a soft bristled broom and sweep (more like kick) them out. They should be easy to remove with the vacuum running.

The water will likely push them out but it's easy to get it right without wasting any water just in case it didn't.

mcgeggy said:
24'x52" round AGP, j-hook liner, sandy bottom with liner pad.

Last night we finally got the liner installed, though it was cloudy and only in the upper 60's. Today sunny and lower 80's and the liner really softened up. I have the shop vac running and the walls look great, but the floor still has bunching/ wrinkles, especially where the floor meets the walls. We used foam cove instead of sand, which makes for a lower cove than if sand were used. I got many of the wrinkles out across the center, but the ones around the edges are bugging me. The seam looks even all the way around, but I guess it would with a j-hook liner. The sandy bottom is a bit bumpy but it was like that under the old pool so I'm not concerned about it in that regard.

Should I be concerned about these wrinkles? Will they smooth out as the water pushes the liner into the cove? I just don't want them to be an issue when I am vacuuming the bottom.

Any thoughts? Really anxious to turn the hose on! :-D

Generally they will. I had a really good pool builder and he said that you want to slow fill a new liner for the first third of the fill, at least up until the seam. keep the blower running until the water covers the seam, and it should be ok. I think the water as long as you are patient with that first part of the fill until you get over the seam, will take the wrinkles out. Just take it slow to start, let it stretch and then fill at regular rate.

Thanks for the replies! Here are some pics (hopefully they will post correctly) of what I am talking about. I guess the more the vac runs and the more I look at them, it does seem like they will smooth out as the water starts filling up:

Attachments

• SAM_0042.JPG
    SAM_0042.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 338
  • SAM_0041.JPG
    SAM_0041.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 305
  • SAM_0040.JPG
    SAM_0040.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 304
They are! Water level is up to the bottom seam and most of the wrinkles have come out, the stubborn ones I've gone after with a broom with additional success.

How long do I need to leave my shop vac running?

Should I turn off the hose when the sun goes down and only fill while it is sunny/warm?

If some of the uprights appear to be leaning in/out (as opposed to from side to side), will that correct as the water level goes up?

Top seats/ coping goes on about half way full?

Thanks for your help! :cool:

Leave the shop vac on until the water is above the cove.

Running the water overnight depends on how fast it's filling. If you cna calculate that it will be late tomorrow getting full then running it overnight is fine.

Leaning is fine. You'll straighten them up putting the top plate on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.