Adding DE to a Sand Filter

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Quick question.

I re-read the article about adding DE to a sand filter.

I posted previously about a nasty algae problem, have been shocking like it is my job (funny, wife seems to think getting the pool straight should be my sole occupation :shock: :lol: ) and it is starting to make noticeable progress.

However, in terms of improving filtration I am considering adding DE to the filter.

Good idea or bad idea at this point? Clarity is better but still not where it needs to be.

Lastly, if you agree with this thought, where would you buy DE? I assume a pool store but are there better places to buy it as it looks like I will need a relatively small amount for the summer.

Thanks!

Perfect.

That was the reason for my post which I don't think I articulated very well but wanted to know if there was any merit in doing it now before I have received the test kit and am able to determine the CC's and overnight loss.

Will stay the course and wait until I get a real test kit. Might not need to even consider the DE.

Just getting impatient, Darn!

As long as the sand is still getting results, you should wait to add DE. If the pressure is going up and the backwash produces dirty water, then the sand is working. Once the sand has gotten as much as it can, the pressure will stop rising as fast and the backwash will be cleaner. That's when it is most productive to add DE.

When adding DE, it is important to watch the pressure as it can rise quickly as the finer dirt is caught.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.