Water draining when I open pump basket

loop_pea

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
England, UK
Wondering if you can help with this one...

When I open up the pump strainer basket, there is a most disturbing gurgling noise and all the water in the sand filter drains away. I'm sure this didn't happen last year.

All the piping downstream of the pump is brand new this year. The only old things are the sand filter and the multiport valve. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either when the pump is running.

The MPV is on its last legs as the handle spring seems a bit knackered. Also, I know the folks doing the pool last year got into the habit of taking the spider gasket apart and smearing it with vaseline, which won't have done it any favors.

Is it normal for the water to drain away like this? If not, is the MPV likely to be the problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, I love this place!

Hi, I'll be curious to the responses you get on this one. The same thing happens when I open mine (I have a DE filter and we moved all the equipment a few months ago - I assumed it was the new longer distance from our pool to the equipment causing the water to move out) and I haven't noticed any issues - it does take a bit longer for the pump to fill when I start it. That's about it.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but as I said, am curious to the responses you get. :)

Take care,

Since you had all the plumbing replaced that may have had something to do with it. In any case, it's normal for the filter to drain when you open the pump strainer basket lid. The thing that keeps the filter and plumbing full of water when the pump is off is equilibrium. As long as the system from skimmer to return is sealed the water can't excape or flow out, but open the system to allow air in and the system will drain.

loop_pea said:
Wondering if you can help with this one...

When I open up the pump strainer basket, there is a most disturbing gurgling noise and all the water in the sand filter drains away. I'm sure this didn't happen last year.

All the piping downstream of the pump is brand new this year. The only old things are the sand filter and the multiport valve. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either when the pump is running.

The MPV is on its last legs as the handle spring seems a bit knackered. Also, I know the folks doing the pool last year got into the habit of taking the spider gasket apart and smearing it with vaseline, which won't have done it any favors.

Is it normal for the water to drain away like this? If not, is the MPV likely to be the problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, I love this place!

My pump piping setup has a swing check vlave in the line from the pump discharge to the mutiport valve for the DE filter. I still lose some water, but it easily fills by opening the DE filter vent valve on top of the filter housing

duraleigh, I don't think there were any valves in the old plumbing, but I'll see if I can find some old photos to check. Is a swing check valve just a one way valve?

When I said it had all the pipes had been replaced, actually the pipe from above the new T on the pump to the MPV and from the MPV to the waste is still the old(ish) plumbing. We got rid of all the black iron plumbing, which seemed like most of it - the pile of stuff to dispose of was huge!

The MPV might be losing water to the drain. I am watching the water level to see if it is falling, and right now I can't be completely sure that it isn't.

Have discovered that if I put the MPV in the closed position before opening the pump basket then the water does not drain away. I guess this means that my MPV is still working properly, and it stops the spooky gurgling. All good anyway.

hmm, noticed now that if i let the water drain away when the pump basket is opened, the filter pressure afterwards is very low. if i run a proper backwash before starting up filtration again, the pressure is noticably higher. confused...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.