Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water draining when I open pump basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Water draining when I open pump basket

Wondering if you can help with this one...

When I open up the pump strainer basket, there is a most disturbing gurgling noise and all the water in the sand filter drains away. I'm sure this didn't happen last year.

All the piping downstream of the pump is brand new this year. The only old things are the sand filter and the multiport valve. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either when the pump is running.

The MPV is on its last legs as the handle spring seems a bit knackered. Also, I know the folks doing the pool last year got into the habit of taking the spider gasket apart and smearing it with vaseline, which won't have done it any favors.

Is it normal for the water to drain away like this? If not, is the MPV likely to be the problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, I love this place!
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water draining when I open pump basket

Hi, I'll be curious to the responses you get on this one. The same thing happens when I open mine (I have a DE filter and we moved all the equipment a few months ago - I assumed it was the new longer distance from our pool to the equipment causing the water to move out) and I haven't noticed any issues - it does take a bit longer for the pump to fill when I start it. That's about it.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but as I said, am curious to the responses you get.

Take care,
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you had all the plumbing replaced that may have had something to do with it. In any case, it's normal for the filter to drain when you open the pump strainer basket lid. The thing that keeps the filter and plumbing full of water when the pump is off is equilibrium. As long as the system from skimmer to return is sealed the water can't excape or flow out, but open the system to allow air in and the system will drain.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

1. Did you have a check valve on the old plumbing that you no longer have?

2. Does the multi port leak water when the pump is running?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by loop_pea
    Wondering if you can help with this one...

When I open up the pump strainer basket, there is a most disturbing gurgling noise and all the water in the sand filter drains away. I'm sure this didn't happen last year.

All the piping downstream of the pump is brand new this year. The only old things are the sand filter and the multiport valve. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either when the pump is running.

The MPV is on its last legs as the handle spring seems a bit knackered. Also, I know the folks doing the pool last year got into the habit of taking the spider gasket apart and smearing it with vaseline, which won't have done it any favors.

Is it normal for the water to drain away like this? If not, is the MPV likely to be the problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, I love this place!
    My pump piping setup has a swing check vlave in the line from the pump discharge to the mutiport valve for the DE filter. I still lose some water, but it easily fills by opening the DE filter vent valve on top of the filter housing
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

6. Back To Top    #6

duraleigh, I don't think there were any valves in the old plumbing, but I'll see if I can find some old photos to check. Is a swing check valve just a one way valve?

When I said it had all the pipes had been replaced, actually the pipe from above the new T on the pump to the MPV and from the MPV to the waste is still the old(ish) plumbing. We got rid of all the black iron plumbing, which seemed like most of it - the pile of stuff to dispose of was huge!

The MPV might be losing water to the drain. I am watching the water level to see if it is falling, and right now I can't be completely sure that it isn't.

7. Back To Top    #7

Have discovered that if I put the MPV in the closed position before opening the pump basket then the water does not drain away. I guess this means that my MPV is still working properly, and it stops the spooky gurgling. All good anyway.

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad you got that one settled.

To make it easier to reprime the system, close the valves from the suction sources and open them one at a time
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

hmm, noticed now that if i let the water drain away when the pump basket is opened, the filter pressure afterwards is very low. if i run a proper backwash before starting up filtration again, the pressure is noticably higher. confused...