Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A quick and easy fix if your blonde hair turns green...

1. Back To Top    #1

A quick and easy fix if your blonde hair turns green...

I learned something very interesting yesterday. Some of you may already know this, but I thought I'd share just in case it could help somebody one day.

I was at the salon getting my hair colored and this lady walks in with a scarf tied around her head. She pulled it off to reveal her army green hair! Ohhh man, I felt bad for her, she was almost in tears. Chris (my awesome color expert and hairstylist extraordinaire) asked her what happened and she explained that she had gone swimming for the first time this year and her new pool man must be using something different.

What did he do to fix it? He slathered her hair in ketchup and let it sit for a few minutes. When he washed it out she was blonde again as if nothing ever happened. I was amazed!!! Wow, who would have thought KETCHUP would fix it? He said he sees this a few times a month so he keeps a huge bottle in the cabinet.

I'm so glad this has never happened to me. It has always been a fear of mine, especially when we take our jet skis out on the rivers and lakes. I'm glad to know it can be fixed pretty easy.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A quick and easy fix if your blonde hair turns green...

Extra bonus, you can dip your fries in her hair!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

The sad thing is that she doesn't know that her green hair is caused from copper in her pool which doesn't need to be there. She'll probably be in for a long green summer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Jaiks, I wouldn't like that!! Done quite a bit of swimming in my life (used to work as a swim instructor) but my hair always stayed my own colour.
    Good to know though, it can be fixed with ketchup. Does is need to be a special brand?
    Sunspa Monaco in the garden since March 2011.

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama, I tried to tell her about the copper. She informed me that she doesn't have the time to care for her pool and chooses to leave it to the professionals. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "If they were really professionals this wouldn't have happened in the first place!"

Siska, I think any brand will do. It has something to do with the acids from the tomatoes and other ingredients in it.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess to be fair to the family budget you would need to record certain salon visits to the pool care category!
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder what mustard would do?
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    I wonder what mustard would do?
    Hilarious !!!!
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

9. Back To Top    #9

Good information to have... not that any of us would have to tell our swimmers how to get rid of green hair after swimming in our little oasis.

Boy won't we sound smart when we can tell them why their hair turned green... &, how to fix it.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

10. Back To Top    #10

I wonder, if acid is the active ingredient, if a rinse of diluted vinegar would do the same thing? Sure would be cheaper to use than ketchup.

Edited to add: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...int.html?cat=5

Other acidic options work, too.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

11. Back To Top    #11

No it is not simply being acidic that does it. You need something that is both acidic and an oxidizer and which won't damage hair.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Why even consider catsup when you can use Nexxus Aloe Rid?

They usually sell it at Wal-mart, but I don't think it is next to the catsup, mustard or vinegar

Save the condiments for the french fries

.....just makin' conversation.....
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Red cancels green.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

This happened to my blond hair little boy. I found the ketchup trick on Pinterest. Worked like a charm! I had to do two applications. He was so embarressed, poor guy. For the record: this happened before I found this amazing website and humbly learned how clueless I was about pools.
    24,000 gal oval IG pool apr 20 years old, new vinyl liner May 2015, Hayward pump, sand filter with top mounted multivalve apr 10 years old, 1 speed booster pump (replaced in fall 2011), Polaris 380 suction side cleaner, chlorinator puck dispenser - rarely used