Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test of year after new liner and refill

1. Back To Top    #1

First test of year after new liner and refill

So I replaced my liner and refilled my pool after unsuccesfully clearing my swamp last year. Here are my current numbers
    FC 6.5
    CC 1
    TC 7.5
    PH 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 130
    CYA 0
    TEMP 74

I put in 2 gallons of 10% shock to get started and have 4 lbs of stabilizer in a sock in front of return jet to get the cya up. If I'm correct I need to continue to maintain shock level until I pass the overnight fc loss test (lose 1 or less fc, have .5 or less cc, and be clear), due to the fact that my CC is currently at 1. I got some valuable experience last year trying to clean it up, but I'm basically a new pool owner. So please let me know your opinions what I should do. Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First test of year after new liner and refill

By stating that you had a swamp last year, you replaced liner and water. Only thing remaining is the sand, did you clean it thoroughly?
    14X28 inground Vinyl
    1HP Super II Pump
    200lb Sand filter
    Tri-chlor, bleach shock
    BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember that while CYA is zero you will be losing chlorine to sunlight extremely rapidly. By this evening some of the CYA will be dissolved and the sun will be off the pool, so I would wait to add more chlorine until then.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a cartridge filter, not sand. I cleaned my cartridge as good as possible(still a little dirty, but definitely usable) and have 2 new ones on the way.

Thanks, I will wait until this evening to add more bleach. But am I correct in needing to bring it to shock level? The water is clear, beautiful, and felt great having a beer at midnight last night after work.
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate