Pool volume calculation

Jun 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello.

I am in the process of draining my pool due to very high levels of calcium. I am starting over with the BBB method. I am trying to calculate accurately the volume of my pool. It is rectangular with the 45 degree angles cut at the corners (making it less than rectangular). It is 32 inches deep in the shallow end and 8 feet in the deep end. It is an 18 x 36. I have calculated about 25,000 gallons for a rectangular pool. Also the deep end walls do not drop straight down but the all slope in towards the center. I don't know if this is normal or not.

My question is how much should I deduct for the corners? Should I deduct anything for the sloping walls.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will back here a few time in the next week with questions on getting started.

bryanw9 said:
Hello.

I am in the process of draining my pool due to very high levels of calcium. I am starting over with the BBB method. I am trying to calculate accurately the volume of my pool. It is rectangular with the 45 degree angles cut at the corners (making it less than rectangular). It is 32 inches deep in the shallow end and 8 feet in the deep end. It is an 18 x 36. I have calculated about 25,000 gallons for a rectangular pool. Also the deep end walls do not drop straight down but the all slope in towards the center. I don't know if this is normal or not.

My question is how much should I deduct for the corners? Should I deduct anything for the sloping walls.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will back here a few time in the next week with questions on getting started.
Give us a few more dimensions and it should be simple geometry. How big are the diagonals on the corners, and how much narrower is the pool at the bottom than the top?

You realize, this will only be a close approximation - you'll also need to deduct for steps. And the depth varies from day to day unless you have an autofill. But you'll have a starting point, and over a couple weeks you'll learn whether you're overshooting or undershooting on the chemicals, and can start to narrow it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.