Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool volume calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool volume calculation

Hello.

I am in the process of draining my pool due to very high levels of calcium. I am starting over with the BBB method. I am trying to calculate accurately the volume of my pool. It is rectangular with the 45 degree angles cut at the corners (making it less than rectangular). It is 32 inches deep in the shallow end and 8 feet in the deep end. It is an 18 x 36. I have calculated about 25,000 gallons for a rectangular pool. Also the deep end walls do not drop straight down but the all slope in towards the center. I don't know if this is normal or not.

My question is how much should I deduct for the corners? Should I deduct anything for the sloping walls.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will back here a few time in the next week with questions on getting started.
    1. 24k gallon 2. Vinyl in-ground 3. Hayward 255 sq Ft cartridge 4. Jacuzzi 1 hp 5. Hayward heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool volume calculation

I guess about 18k gallons.

Having sloped walls in the deep end is standard for a vinyl liner pool, but is not what the volume calculator is expecting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool volume calculation

Quote Originally Posted by bryanw9
    Hello.

I am in the process of draining my pool due to very high levels of calcium. I am starting over with the BBB method. I am trying to calculate accurately the volume of my pool. It is rectangular with the 45 degree angles cut at the corners (making it less than rectangular). It is 32 inches deep in the shallow end and 8 feet in the deep end. It is an 18 x 36. I have calculated about 25,000 gallons for a rectangular pool. Also the deep end walls do not drop straight down but the all slope in towards the center. I don't know if this is normal or not.

My question is how much should I deduct for the corners? Should I deduct anything for the sloping walls.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will back here a few time in the next week with questions on getting started.
    Give us a few more dimensions and it should be simple geometry. How big are the diagonals on the corners, and how much narrower is the pool at the bottom than the top?

You realize, this will only be a close approximation - you'll also need to deduct for steps. And the depth varies from day to day unless you have an autofill. But you'll have a starting point, and over a couple weeks you'll learn whether you're overshooting or undershooting on the chemicals, and can start to narrow it down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!