Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: run pump day or night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oakdale, CT

run pump day or night?

a simple question that i haven't been able to find an answer for. assuming that my pump will be working 12hr on/12hr off shifts, is there a preference for running it during the day or at night?
    24,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl, hayward de filter, automatic chlorinator with tricolor tabs

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: run pump day or night?

There is a very small advantage to running the pump during they day, but it isn't a big difference. If you have time of day electric rates, you should run the pump when electricity is less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Personally I like to run mine during the day. Helps keep stuff tracked in the pool sucked into the skimmer. Also at night the bugs get in the water and I want to skim them off in the morning rather than them getting sucked into the skimmer & filter.
    18,000 gallons, vinyl IG, DE(filter area 60), 1HP Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4
    Eastern Pennsylvania

I run mine at night because we have 50% rates during off-peak hours. The downside is that the water cools down more from circulating past the steel walls. This may not be an issue in inground pools.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

SW Georgia

Because I test and add chemicals in the morning I like for mine to run during the day. This insures that my chemicals get fully dispersed.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Loogootee, IN

If you have the same electrical rates 24/7 then it is basically a just a personal preference.

If you run your pump during the day, the water temp will be higher. If ran at night your water temp will be a little cooler.

My wife and I can't stand a 2000 gallon bath tub like a lot of people do, so I run my pump at night and it is a very nice refreshment to jump into a 78-82 degree pool.
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

7. Back To Top    #7

I run mine 24/7. It never dawned on me though that running the pump during the day would make the water hotter. PachinkoPlayer, I sent you a PM.
    Intex 15x48 metal frame 4,400 gallon AG. Dual stock pump setup using Filbur (A) filters.