Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: run pump day or night?

1. Back To Top    #1

run pump day or night?

a simple question that i haven't been able to find an answer for. assuming that my pump will be working 12hr on/12hr off shifts, is there a preference for running it during the day or at night?
    24,000 gal, in-ground, vinyl, hayward de filter, automatic chlorinator with tricolor tabs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: run pump day or night?

There is a very small advantage to running the pump during they day, but it isn't a big difference. If you have time of day electric rates, you should run the pump when electricity is less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Personally I like to run mine during the day. Helps keep stuff tracked in the pool sucked into the skimmer. Also at night the bugs get in the water and I want to skim them off in the morning rather than them getting sucked into the skimmer & filter.
    18,000 gallons, vinyl IG, DE(filter area 60), 1HP Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4

I run mine at night because we have 50% rates during off-peak hours. The downside is that the water cools down more from circulating past the steel walls. This may not be an issue in inground pools.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

Because I test and add chemicals in the morning I like for mine to run during the day. This insures that my chemicals get fully dispersed.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have the same electrical rates 24/7 then it is basically a just a personal preference.

If you run your pump during the day, the water temp will be higher. If ran at night your water temp will be a little cooler.

My wife and I can't stand a 2000 gallon bath tub like a lot of people do, so I run my pump at night and it is a very nice refreshment to jump into a 78-82 degree pool.
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

7. Back To Top    #7

I run mine 24/7. It never dawned on me though that running the pump during the day would make the water hotter. PachinkoPlayer, I sent you a PM.
    Intex 15x48 metal frame 4,400 gallon AG. Dual stock pump setup using Filbur (A) filters.