Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction Side Air Leak - Goes Away when I adjust Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction Side Air Leak - Goes Away when I adjust Valve

I have a 4 year ol inground pool that developed a small air leak coming into the Hayward Super Pump. I checked all gaskets etc. Even had my pool man replace my older seperate skimmer and main drain PVC valves with a new common Jandy valve and new fittings into pump.
    When pool pump starts there is a small air leak - basket stays mostly full with some air blowing through.
    If I move the valve from balanced to full main drain then to full skim and back to balance the air leak goes away. No problem with pump sart and pump basket stays solid overnight.
    Seems like the skimmer line is the one that leaks as main drain runs almost solid when selected.
    Any thoughts as to what may be happening. Any suggestions?
    I would rather not have to run a new skimmer line.

Thanks in advance ,

Fred.
    18' x 38' vinyl liner, 28k gallons, Hayward superpump SP2615X20, Hayward DE filter DE3620,variflow valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction Side Air Leak - Goes Away when I adjust Valve

Check the weir in the skimmer for proper operation. It should move freely and not stick at all.
    Is the water level in the skimmer high enough?
    Check for the skimmer creating a vortex and sucking air in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply. All items at skimmer previously checked and OK.
    One additional detail - Pump strainer basket cover will burp some water when pump is shut off. Already tried two new gaskets with proper lube.

Thanks,

Fred.
    18' x 38' vinyl liner, 28k gallons, Hayward superpump SP2615X20, Hayward DE filter DE3620,variflow valve

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like it might be warped. Try running water over it while it's running and see if the air stops.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit