Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: draining the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

draining the pool

Hi everyone!

Can i use the air relief valve to drain my pool by opening it and connecting a hose to it to direct the water away?

What to do when the water level falls below skimmer level?

Otherwise, how do you drain the pool?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: draining the pool

I used the vacuum hose to siphon my pool recently. Worked like a charm, down until the final few inches, which we scooped. I suppose this only works if you are on a suitable hill , but if you are, it is so simple!
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

3. Back To Top    #3

How far do you need to drain the pool? There should be a drain plug in the bottom of the filter body that you could connect a hose to and allow the pool to drain to the skimmer. To drain farther down, you could use a siphon method, rent a submersible pump, or connect a manual vacuum to your pump and allow the head to sit in the deepest part of the pool and run the pump with a hose connected to the cartridge drain. However if you use this method the drain hose will not keep up with the pump volume and you should open the filter and take the cartridge out.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Like they say, if you have a suitable slope, siphoning works. A submersible pump also works. Spend a little extra and buy a big one. I bought the cheapest one they sell at Lowes, and while the stream looks impressive out the garden hose, only pumps out about 400 gallons per hour.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Like they say, if you have a suitable slope, siphoning works. A submersible pump also works. Spend a little extra and buy a big one. I bought the cheapest one they sell at Lowes, and while the stream looks impressive out the garden hose, only pumps out about 400 gallons per hour.
    Sore spot with me (not you, the pumps at HD or Lowes). I went through three pumps from them in 16 months - one 1/3rd HP sump pump (HD), and two 1/2HP sump pumps (Lowes). They just don't last... My last one (1/2 HP) only made it through 2 pools, and all I did was drain. No muck, etc...

That said, the little one you have I have also (sounds the same) is still running strong and is great for removing the last of the water as it sucks through the bottom of the pump, vs. the bottom 1 1/2" of the pump through the sides like most sumps do.

And, to the OP: If you decide to use the pool pump (not my first choice - rent a sump from a rental center for $40/day), once you drain down to a few feet below skimmer level - don't turn the pump off, as you will lose prime and may not get it back.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the replies...

I am looking to drain about 50% of the water to lower the CYA. I plan to use the water to water my yards and there is little to no slope so siphoning will not work...
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

7. Back To Top    #7

Does your pool not have a main drain?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

you mean the one at the bottom of the pool at the deep end? Yes i have a drain over there... but it goes to the pump...
    Suley, West Hills, CA

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have a skimmer diverter plate you should use that do divert flow to your main drain.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall