Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping ducks out of the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping ducks out of the pool

Hey all

I've got a problem with a pair (I think it's the same pair) of ducks using our pools They poop in the pools and on the decks, I remember problems in the lakes of NH with people getting 'duck itch' from their parasites entering the water that have ducks in them, and I caught (and interrupted ) them copulating in one of the pools.

I don't want to have to harm them, but they have to learn to stay away from of the pools - there are 3 ponds near the pools that they can do whatever they want to in.

I'm not sure if a fake owl would deter them. I've heard about stringing up fishing line to deter birds, but that isn't practical in my situation.

Other than taming a fox and training it to patrol the pools, is there something I can do?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping ducks out of the pool

There are motion-sensitive sprinkler devices which I think are designed for deer and such, and may help if they will detect a duck. I also recall that when I was a kid, I knew folks that hung foil pie-pans from trees on string to keep birds away from their fig trees. The shiny pans spinning and waving in the breeze seemed to deter birds like Grackles and Sparrows and such, but I don't know about Ducks.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

How about using:
    - a solar cover to keep them out of the water?
    - sounds of a barking dog
    - firecrackers

And when you get really tired of the ducks - making foie gra!
    30' x 15' kidney shaped, 3.5-5.5 ft deep, wet-mix shotcrete inground, AutoPilot Digital SWG - RC35/22 cell, 36" main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dyna-Pro 1 HP, Sta-Rite 2 (PLM100) filter, Polaris 360 cleaner, Marbletite (Marquis/Bluestone), Screen enclosure

4. Back To Top    #4

We had the same problem up until three weeks ago. I am not certain if this is the reason or not, but I installed an automated pool cleaner (Zodiac MX8) at the time, and we've not seen them since. I think it must freak them out!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ingredients:

1 (5 lb) duck
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    10 scallions
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project
    Best Pool Store Quote, "THAT BLEACH WILL DESTROY YOUR LINER."

6. Back To Top    #6

By the way... I'll send you some frogs for a duck. Frogs are creepy! Ribbit, Ribbit, Ribbit
    24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project
    Best Pool Store Quote, "THAT BLEACH WILL DESTROY YOUR LINER."

7. Back To Top    #7

Garden centers sell fake blow-up snakes that work (sometimes).

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a pair of ducks in our pool every spring. They take off during the day and return at night. I think they like to find a private place away from the crowd during mating season! When we are ready to drain and re-fill the pool, I let my border collie (finally! she says) chase them out. She doesn't hurt them, just hassles them. I usually put my solar blanket on right away after filling, and they won't return for a year.

If there is a border collie club in your neck of the woods I would bet money that one of the members is experienced in bird removal---they're used to chase geese out of parks. You could check it out.

I should also think that you shouldn't let them use the nearby ponds---their homing instinct seems good and I bet they don't care whether it's pool or pond. If your property is their honeymoon hot spot you'll soon have a flock!
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tmyers
    Ingredients:

1 (5 lb) duck
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    10 scallions
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    Sounds mighty tasty
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by applgrl
    If there is a border collie club in your neck of the woods I would bet money that one of the members is experienced in bird removal---they're used to chase geese out of parks. You could check it out.
    I have two border collies in my back yard. Every once in a while a pair of ducks will start coming down toward our pool, then the dogs get on the chase. We haven't seen a duck land in our pool yet, they change their minds pretty fast!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ducks are mighty tasty. It doesnt hurt them to eat them does it?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tmyers
    By the way... I'll send you some frogs for a duck. Frogs are creepy! Ribbit, Ribbit, Ribbit
    Yes, they are! Last year we had thousands of tadpoles on our winter cover. Gross!

We have ducks every year that swim in the water that's on the winter cover. But after we open the pool, they go away. Ted, I'm surprised yours swim in the chlorine. Like someone else suggested, maybe a solar cover?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the replies

The pools are too big, and irregularly shaped to make covers feasible

I'm thinking if I get one in my leafnet and release it, it would scare them off forever. (fingers crossed)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

14. Back To Top    #14

LoChlor Chemicals made a product called DuckOFF. http://www.lochlor.com/duck_off.html. It lowers the surface tension and prevents ducks from floating on the surface. They learn that your pool is not a good place to swim in anymore as they will sink. However, the problem with this is that small ducklings don't have the strength to fly off when they start sinking, and eventually drown.....gulp
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

15. Back To Top    #15

Hey Sean

Good to see you!

Thanks, but I don't believe in adding mystery chems to my pools and I'm not always there when they show up. I think a 12 gauge would be perfect, but I'm afraid I'd 'etch' the marcite and deck :P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

16. Back To Top    #16

We have had the same pair back for 3 years! First hatch last was 13! This year I trimmed all the rose bushes back and they didn't feel safe so they went elsewhere! Might have been my Lab though, she loves DUCKS!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey Ted. The Duck off is completely safe. As the link shows, it will smell and foam for a bit. If it's the same pair of ducks, they'll retain a memory of not being able to float in your customer's pool, and they won't return. Just throwing it out there as a possible chemical solution.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

18. Back To Top    #18

I had this same problem for a few years a few years ago.

While at a local pond one day I noticed that an apparently new couple were being driven off by other ducks. Seems they had no where to go.

I'm thinking that during the spring mating season the ducks in my pool were driven off from the local ponds and found my pool to be private enough.

In later spring they disappeared. Maybe because they were then allowed back into the local ponds once the "protective mother" stage was passed.

I haven't seen them in at least two years now.

But I'll copy that recipe just in case!
    --BK in CT

18x33 AG Delair pool
    Approx 15,000 gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

Today, I had clocked out and heard the bartender yell "Ducks, go away or Ted is gonna get you!"

Of course I ran out onto the deck and saw 2 males and 1 female in our main pool

Apparently the 2 'love birds' invited a friend to watch

The 12 gauge sounds better every day....
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

20. Back To Top    #20

OMG Ted, you make me laugh so much!

#3.5 shot works wonders!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast