Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clogged skimmer pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

clogged skimmer pipe?

hello, i've had this inground pool for 18 yrs and never had this problem. after vacuuming the pool i switched to filter the pool and now the pump won't suck enough water into it to build up pressure. i noticed that there isn't any suction over by the skimmer. i thinking of trying to blow out the skimmer with some air pressure but saw something on this site about using a hose with a rag to try to clear it? how does this work and why use the rag? thanks for any help. Randy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: clogged skimmer pipe?

You put the hose inside the pump strainer, get all the valves set so the flow is from the skimmer, and backflush it. Make sure the pump is off first. The rag is to help seal it up so the water pressure dislodges the debris, rather than just causing the pump strainer to overflow all over the place. If you have a rubber drain king, that's even better than the rag.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Richard gave you a good description (how was London, Richard?)

Sorry for the aside but let us know how things progress
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

hello, i tried the hose thing and nothing happened. i then blew out the line from the pump basket to the skimmer and there seemed to be plenty of flow over there. i still can't get enough suction to prime the pump and am now going to pull the pump and check the impeller, even though i believe i was able to move it with a small toothbrush. i am also thinking about running my fish tape through it. i am stumped with this problem because it never happened before. there does seem to be some air bubbles in the pump basket but i don't believe them to be the problem? help

5. Back To Top    #5

well i fond the problem. the impeller was packed full of leaves,etc. i cleaned it out and all is good now. not sure how it got in there,might have been when i had basket out while adding the DE. thanks for the replies.

6. Back To Top    #6

Always good to hear a success story

Happy pooling
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)